News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 09:07:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Non-A/C Alternator Mounting  (Read 3498 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Non-A/C Alternator Mounting
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
Sorry if this exists elsewhere (I couldn't find anything for non-A/C)...  My alternator belt is squealing like crazy and it almost appears as if a mounting bracket is missing.  It is a new alternator, although the old one squealed, too.  If you look at it from above, it would seem that the front is cocked in towards the motor slightly, thus causing the belt to ride awkwardly in the pulley.  I've tried adjusting it and adding washers but it doesn't help.  There is a mounting bolt on the back of the alt that lines up with a boss on the head of the motor.  It looks as though an L-shaped bracket would mount here to keep the alternator from twisting under the belt's tension.  Is this missing?  Where would I find one in a day?  ;D
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Non-A/C Alternator Mounting
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »
The bracket for non-AC is weak and cracks or vibrates a big oval hole, causing misalignment. The AC style brackets are WAYYYYY better!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:54:27 PM »
I'm going to hammer out a bracket for the trip.  Hopefully it'll get me through until I can pull the bracket out and inspect it.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
Mine also vibrates and squeals even after replacing the alternator and belts (Non-A/C). I've driven it plenty like this, it's just annoying is all.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:10 PM »
Mine also vibrates and squeals even after replacing the alternator and belts (Non-A/C). I've driven it plenty like this, it's just annoying is all.
Could you have a dry bearing in the alternator?
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:38:13 AM »
I fixed mine without needing a bracket.  I returned the cheapo "Drive Rite" belt and bought a Dayco.  The belt is just slightly wider, causing it to ride higher in the pulley.  No more noise!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
Good thing, I had a replaced cheapo alternator belt snap on my first highway drive (granted it was installed and sitting for nearly a year).
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk