News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 01:52:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Double Down  (Read 14057 times)

rohnk

Double Down
« on: July 03, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
Friends,

Yesterday at 3pm almost on the dot, I took possesion of my first rescue project. I am going to call er Double Down (was Deuce), as it was kind of a gamble to take the car at this point in my life, it is a gamble as to whether I can really save it, it is the first time I have owned two eagles at one time, and it is the fourth SX4 that I ever owned.

The car is an 81 with AC and that's just about it. She is in very rough shape but held together on the transport vehcile between Detroit and Grand Rapids Michigan. She was formerly owned by darjeeling (Tim), and rather than send it to the yard, he made an effort to get it in my hands. Really cool deal for both of us and we are mutualy happy for the transaction. Tim could have gottern more for it to send it to the yard, but that wasn't what he wanted. He wanted the car to go to a member of the forum that would give the car a shot at a second life.

My plans are straight forward. I will take a number of pictures and post them on PhotoBucket with a link to it on this thread. The first pictures are very shocking as the car has sat for a bit of time and has weeds growing all over it. The engine compartment is full of long weeds and the interior of the car even has them behind the plastic panels. It is all there though, minus the spots in the frame where the rust has eaten it away. I don't think it is too late for this car, but its darn close.

I'll have to finished "Road Trip" since I have been working on that car all spring and into the summer. I finally have it running good and am now down to cleaning up the interior. Next will be body work and paint. Nothing fancy, just the best at what I can do on a little budget and working a couple of hours each night. I'm saving up to have the car sprayed by a pro, but may do it myself since I've done body and paint work since I was a kid. It has been a long time, but how am I going to know if I still can do it unless I get out there and try?

Anyway, send darjelling an egg if you can and let him know that helping to get an Eagle to where it can be appreciated and saved is half the battle.

Happy July 4th everyone!

http://photobucket.com/81eagledoubledown
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:08:32 AM by rohnk »

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Double Down
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »
Let me be the fist to congratulate you on the save.  The wrecking yard is not a good place for Eagles! 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
Thank you. I added a link to the pictures of the pictures of the car as it sits today.

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
Wait...now is it Double Down or Double Deuce!? Make up your mind!  ;D

Looks like you definitely have your work cut out for you...and speaking of cutting out... you'll be doing a lot of that to remove the rust!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:11:12 PM »
Congrats on the save and good luck on your project my friend. Looks like its gonna take some effort but hang in there you will get it.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

rohnk

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:01 PM »
Double Down is what I think will stick.

It's also going to take me twice as long as I think it will.  ::)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:12:43 PM »

That's how it turned out for me.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
Double Deuce...Like Roadhouse??  That's awesome!!!

Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »
Double Down is what I think will stick.

If its like my projects, it will also cost you twice as much  :rotfl:

Congrats on the new acquisition and thanks for saving one from the crusher.  You've inspired me to look at a sedan that has been on the Denver C-list for awhile, hopefully they'll call me back.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 12:54:29 AM »
Rohnk,

I think we need to team up and provide a support system as we work through these "rescue" SX4s.  I just got one that needs some love and attention too.  What do you think??
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

rohnk

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 09:51:17 AM »
Sounds good to me! I'm going to relearn the skills needed to fix this car as I go. I use to do a lot of this when I was younger and had friends!

When it comes to parts, we should work together and swap parts between us. I have a number of good parts and keep the list growing every chance I get. I'm never out to make a bunch of money on anything, just break even and/or ask for shipping in return.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
Awesome save, Rohnk! Darjeeling's frame repair on this car gave me the inspiration to fix mine. I sure hope you can get it on the road again, even if it takes a couple years.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

rohnk

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
I put a post on Clist tonight to trade a go kart my kids don't want (scared of it) for a welder, cherry picker and/or engine stand. I've already got a guy coming over tomorrrow to show me a Lincoln Electric SP-100T 120V flux core mig welder. He says it can be used with gas too which I think is for keeping the flash down? Never mig welded before and the last welding I did was 20 years ago on an ARC welder. I was good at it so hopefully I can teach myself the skills again.

Anybody know about the Lincoln Electric welders? I have read online in different forums that LE is a good brand name and make nice welders.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 12:28:45 AM »
I put a post on Clist tonight to trade a go kart my kids don't want (scared of it) for a welder, cherry picker and/or engine stand. I've already got a guy coming over tomorrrow to show me a Lincoln Electric SP-100T 120V flux core mig welder. He says it can be used with gas too which I think is for keeping the flash down? Never mig welded before and the last welding I did was 20 years ago on an ARC welder. I was good at it so hopefully I can teach myself the skills again.

Anybody know about the Lincoln Electric welders? I have read online in different forums that LE is a good brand name and make nice welders.
That would be a great choice for welding sheet metal.  If you are welding thicker metal (1/4"),  a 220 welder would be better.  Wrought iron installer use those little flux core welder all the time.  They are great for up to .120 wall metal.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

rohnk

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 12:51:42 AM »
Ok, I plan on doing a lot of floorpan work as from the pics I posted, the entire floorpan has seperated from the rails. The driver side I can put my fingers through and pull carpet from under the car.

For the front frame pieces, I plan to use some steel stock (1/8"?) and shape it a piece at a time. Then I'll probably cut out a section at a time and weld in the new pieces. I thought a small welder like that might fit the bill nicely.

This will be a great car to learn on I think. Lot of work to be done for sure. You all can probably tell I am excited to get started, but I need to finish my white SX4 first. It is almost done as I am into body work on that car already. I screwed up drilling holes for the spoiler so I have to weld in a couple of washers to fix my mistake there.

Live and learn! If I don't know what I'm doing, I've got to at least try, fail, and try again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk