News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 05:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rally Racing project, 2 Door Sedan  (Read 9054 times)

bhaab

Rally Racing project, 2 Door Sedan
« on: June 25, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
So I've got a 2 Door Sedan wonderfully given to me cheap by Team AMC. This car has been a labor of love to be able to spank the pants off of any other $200 and under, rally car out there. When I got the car it was running off a fuel can under the hood of the car... so... it needed some help. After purging the entire interior and welding in a roll cage, I put in a single sport seat, and have gauges on order. Got it running pretty goood after an electronic fuel pump was installed... but then was running into over fueling issues which may need a carb overhaul to fix. But then race ay came, modified fenders and suspension to fit 31" 10.5R15's on the car. Painted it Traditional rally Red/White/and blue. Ran some test laps very well, car was super stable, no body roll, would rally the corners nicely, great handling.... then after time trial were done, then came the multi car race.. and alas... my electrical rats nest that I "got working" failed me.... coil no longer received power for spark. So... it got parked for the races, more work to do for next year. I'll keep posting updates on what I'm doing. Carb, cooling relocation/electric fan and electrical system overhaul will be the next the things to prep for next year. Comments, and suggestions or troubleshooting would be great! Also ideas on simple electrical setup for 3 switches would be great (ie ignition, fuel pump, and start button)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61750431@N05/7442917298/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61750431@N05/7442914820/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61750431@N05/7442911926/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61750431@N05/7442910062/

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Rally Racing project, 2 Door Sedan
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 05:02:10 PM »
That's pretty sweet, like to see some action video of this one  ;D:occasion14:
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
I'm glad to see an Eagle still alive, but as badly as I've wanted one of the relatively rare 2 door sedans for a daily driver, it's very distressing to see this done to one.
However,  I do fully support your right to do as you please with your own vehicle.
It will be interesting to see the results when you finish.  Please do finish, and don't do as so many others have and give up and let it be scrapped.
Opinions posted in this reply are my own.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
I'd upgrade the dist. to a GM HEI unit .... they can be had from a well known online auction site for well under 100 bucks then you will have a simple and reliable 1 wire system
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

bhaab

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
I'm glad to see an Eagle still alive, but as badly as I've wanted one of the relatively rare 2 door sedans for a daily driver, it's very distressing to see this done to one.
However,  I do fully support your right to do as you please with your own vehicle.
It will be interesting to see the results when you finish.  Please do finish, and don't do as so many others have and give up and let it be scrapped.
Opinions posted in this reply are my own.
I understand your distress, but this was "not" salvageable. all the interior was gone, it was basically a frame with cancer :P. Lots of plate welding, and this will in the end be a purpose build rally car that will turn some heads!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:33:38 AM by bhaab »

bhaab

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 06:06:30 PM »
I'd upgrade the dist. to a GM HEI unit .... they can be had from a well known online auction site for well under 100 bucks then you will have a simple and reliable 1 wire system

Thanks for the info, I had thought of that and might take these instructions. Anybody see a HUGE improvement after doing this?
http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/hei_upgrade.htm

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
If you consider saving those hard to find opera window inserts I would gladly save them for my other 2 door restoration that I will start this fall. Yes in Fl we do it backwards as our weather gets better in the winter.

Offline hypereagle

• SX4! A car that's in a league of it's own.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 10:52:57 PM »
If you consider saving those hard to find opera window inserts I would gladly save them for my other 2 door restoration that I will start this fall. Yes in Fl we do it backwards as our weather gets better in the winter.

What have you in the background of the red, white and photo? Looks like some zoomies coming out that engine bay.
73 AMX/Javelin, 79 Spirit, 81 SX4, 87 Comanche, 02 Grand Cherokee Ltd, 86 2dr Cherokee, 70 AMX 390 4 Spd.

bhaab

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 06:25:34 PM »
What have you in the background of the red, white and photo? Looks like some zoomies coming out that engine bay.

That's an 89 Ford Mustang. And the orange in the foreground is an 81 Monte Carlo... and the zombies are coveralls lol.

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
I think Hypereagle was asking about the pipes (zoomies).
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

bhaab

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »
I think Hypereagle was asking about the pipes (zoomies).

Ah yes... but of course. Quick read, leads to me thinking it's a typo :P and yes those are 'zoomies' (first time I've heard that term :D) That was by far the loudest most gutless car there :D

here is a video of the car running.... sort-of... still have some over fueling issues. But it's coming!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61750431@N05/7442910062/

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
I'm diggin it
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
  :occasion14:

I take it you're running an electric fuel pump? what are you using for a regulator and do you have a return line set up? Not having both of these could be a factor in your over fueling issues.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

bhaab

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
  :occasion14:

I take it you're running an electric fuel pump? what are you using for a regulator and do you have a return line set up? Not having both of these could be a factor in your over fueling issues.

I had taken the return line and "t" off due to fuel line leaks, as far a a regulator I've installed a o-ringed pin to the float in the carb, once the floats are up its seals off the 7+psi pump. but I think the carb just needs a rebuild or an aftermarket carb.. not sure what I want to spend the cash on yet.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
 ??? O ringed pin? Maybe 7 is too high, I run my 4bbl at 5 1/2 - 6.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk