News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 05, 2024, 03:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel Cylinders are different left to right?  (Read 4223 times)

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
Wheel Cylinders are different left to right?
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Now, I know left and right wheel cylinders are usually mirrored and slightly different but...

I just got a set of Wagner reman cylinders and the are very differnet.  One has the shafts with slotted ends that i'm used to seeing.  The other has no shaft coming out of the boot and the pistons are sortof cone shaped.  I haven't taken my old ones off yet so I don't have anything to compare them to.  It just didn't seem right, can anyone confirm this for me?

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Wheel Cylinders are different left to right?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
Now, I know left and right wheel cylinders are usually mirrored and slightly different but...

I just got a set of Wagner reman cylinders and the are very differnet.  One has the shafts with slotted ends that i'm used to seeing.  The other has no shaft coming out of the boot and the pistons are sortof cone shaped.  I haven't taken my old ones off yet so I don't have anything to compare them to.  It just didn't seem right, can anyone confirm this for me?

That sounds right. The pistons are concave so the shafts center themselves on the piston when installed. The difference between left and right...as I remember...is the angle of the inlet fitting. Internally they're the same. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »
Here are some pictures of what i'm talking about, maybe it will make a bit more sense.  On the right is Wagner #WC129240 on the left is #WC59241.  Both were supposed to be for the Eagle rear left/right, don't remember which was which at the moment.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:57:48 PM »
One on the right is oddball. On my Comanche I put Eagle wheel cyls (new were $15 each and I had them leftover) because they were slightly bigger bore with same size brakes. Much needed improvement with my 33" tires.
   Not sure what I'm going to do with the 8.25 XJ axle brakes I'm swapping in. I'm hoping to score rear discs from a ZJ, but it's not high priority for me right now. Getting the 2 piece axle D35/M15 out of there is more important since I'll be towing with the Eagle soon.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline lapoltba

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:05:02 PM »
Yep, the one on the right was mis-packaged.   Seller refunded the purchase price and i''ve got an unknown Wheel cylinder to get rid of, and two for one side of the car.  I'll probably just use the parts from the extra to rebuild the one on the car.

Offline EAGLER

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 07:08:59 PM »
yes the left one is the right cyl for eagle, the other one belongs to another vehicle, somethinge went wrong on packing
because nobody grows up knowing all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk