News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 09, 2024, 07:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine restricting emission removal  (Read 26243 times)

rohnk

Re: Engine restricting emission removal
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:59 AM »
I'm taking the vacuum line diverter valves and all of that out. I am also removing the heater hoses as they are routed more directly without AC.

The computer will stay as is until later this year when i do the interior work. Then it will come out.

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »
i gotcha. it took around 2 hours of painstaking wire tracing to ensure proper removal...i was much less careful with the vacuum lines. are you using a motorcraft? there are also two vacuum switches on the passenger fender that can come out as they aren't used if the compute is inactive or out. if you need diagrams or pictures i can help
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 02:09:50 PM »
No computer in mine. It IS (was) a Canadian car! Likely interior of BC since there is no rust on it. I'll take a better pic of the emission tag later. When I adjusted the shifter linkage I found out the cat wasn't OEM and the feed pipe to the cat was just there for show (I removed it in pieces as the cat inlet was still capped) and left the manifold AIR injection alone (for now)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

rohnk

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »
i gotcha. it took around 2 hours of painstaking wire tracing to ensure proper removal...i was much less careful with the vacuum lines. are you using a motorcraft? there are also two vacuum switches on the passenger fender that can come out as they aren't used if the compute is inactive or out. if you need diagrams or pictures i can help

I'll take whatever you've got when it comes to that! Thanks.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »
No computer in mine. It IS (was) a Canadian car! Likely interior of BC since there is no rust on it. I'll take a better pic of the emission tag later. When I adjusted the shifter linkage I found out the cat wasn't OEM and the feed pipe to the cat was just there for show (I removed it in pieces as the cat inlet was still capped) and left the manifold AIR injection alone (for now)

Canadian Eagles have no cat converters.
They did from the factory. They may have rotted off soon after though  :rotfl:
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 02:40:53 AM »
Nope. Not even from the factory. No cats on Canadian Eagles.

They did from the factory. They may have rotted off soon after though  :rotfl:

I think the early Canadian model years did not have them, but I think they were added during one of the model years.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
Maybe mine was installed to meet US emissions coming in? E test is required here

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »
Maybe mine was installed to meet US emissions coming in? E test is required here

For purposes of this discussion its probably important to diferentiate between cars that were manufactured in Canada vs. those that were delivered to Canada
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

rohnk

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »
I'm at the point where I will be putting the engine back together soon and running new hoses and all that. When I'm done, I'll take a picture and post the before and after so everyone can see what is involved. I intended to do a write-up but it was too much to take pictures while taking things apart since they were so greasy and dirty.

I think before/after pics and a picture of the removed components laid out will give a good idea of what it takes.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2012, 01:00:57 PM »
My tag says "Meets Canadian emissions requirements for 1981 year"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk