News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 03:13:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?  (Read 17039 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« on: April 15, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
So after my two posts I think its safe to say the eagle needs a New transmission,

Any ideas on a rough cost of a rebuild? Or anyone who did it before, how much it cost? I can't do it my self.

Or is there anyplace i can find a remanufactured one? The ones online all say they are 904s and RWD? what gives?

3 Speed Automatic Transmission, RWD
Fits: AMC Eagle
Tag ID:   A904
Notes:   Our transmission comes with a remanufactured torque converter!
Part Number:   A904

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 05:59:00 PM »
If you can pop your tranny its cheaper by far to have it rebuilt.

Manitowoc WI

rohnk

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I agree with MudKicker as long as there is no major damage to any "hard parts" internally. A soft parts rebuild can be done for about a grand if they pull the tranny and re-install. You can probably save a couple hundred pulling it and re-installing yourself, but you need to have some help or the proper tools.

Good luck! I had my t-case serviced a year ago and they rebuilt the viscous coupler. With fluid changes in the axles and a little vacuum work, it cost me $1500. A decent price for all the work they did!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »
Soft parts rebuild should only set you back 2 days and $150. That's what it takes to rebuild the A904. Personally, I would be looking into other reasons for the failure such as hard parts failures, a damaged torque converter or a blocked cooling system. With all the problems I'm having with my A904, I'm convinced it's junk and to just move on.

Last month I sent my transmission off for a rebuild. Several questions about where it came from, what it is and what it's going into...

The predetermined price was roughly $800 for a complete overhaul and was supposed to take about a week. It's now one month later, my car is still on jackstands and suddenly there's parts that need replacing. I'm getting sick of this.

If you want a transmission rebuilt, do it yourself. It saves you a LOT of time and pain of dealing with mediocre mechanics that don't know what they're doing. YOU are the most reliable source of information and change for your vehicle. It's awful but true.

One more thing: If you have frequent problems with this transmission as I do, it's time to move on to a stronger transmission like the TF727 or do the manual swap. The original plan for me was to go to a manual but after 4 years I haven't been able to find one and the A904 keeps breaking before I can pull any transmissions from the scrapyards. :/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:29:58 PM by DaemonForce »
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

rohnk

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
Casper,
Yes I did. I put there into in the vendor section. The owner has a buddy with an Eagle that sits out back of the shop. I drive by it everyday and when I get my finances in order, I'll make an offer on it!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
I paid $650 to have my transmission rebuilt. That included having it rebuilt to TF999 specs, a new torque converter and a Transgo shift kit. I pulled it and installed it. That was a year and a half ago and it still works great. I would try to find some Jeep guys and see who they recommend for a rebuild.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
Around here, Sea-Tac trans is the go-to guys for a build. I just posted my 998 on CL for $50. It still ran and drove, but the oil came out so fast (bad converter neck) that it could've been re-dubbed Exxon Valdez II.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »
So what about all the websites claiming to have an a904 for 800 already rebuilt?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
If they say it fits an '87 Jeep YJ, then it will work.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 12:01:31 AM »
So what about all the websites claiming to have an a904 for 800 already rebuilt?
I personally don't trust the assembly line rebuilders and would rather have a local reputable rebuilder to the job. What do you do if you have a problem with the transmission? Take it out, ship it at your expense and then wait to see if they will warranty it?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:12:22 AM »
Thats a really good point. I guess its time to start saving for a rebuild.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
dos anyone have directions on how to remove the transmission in simple easy to read steps? I'm thinking if it saves me money ill take it out my self.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 12:47:28 PM »
There are several how-tos and journals of transmission removal here on the nest, just browse through this topic a few pages. I've done it a few times.

The hardest parts are getting the top few bolts loose and wiggling it out past the exhaust. You may end up replacing the mount and a couple of u-joints while you're in there, I've had worn ones fall apart.

It's helpful to drain the fluid first... or have a change of clothes on hand for when you forget.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
There are several how-tos and journals of transmission removal here on the nest, just browse through this topic a few pages. I've done it a few times.

The hardest parts are getting the top few bolts loose and wiggling it out past the exhaust. You may end up replacing the mount and a couple of u-joints while you're in there, I've had worn ones fall apart.

It's helpful to drain the fluid first... or have a change of clothes on hand for when you forget.

Yeah, the extra pair of clothes option has became a norm  while in my garage.  ;D
ok i found some how-tos after quite a while of looking.

I called some local mechanics and they all asked me if its even possible to get replacement parts for this tranny. I really doubt anyone around where i live has seen this in the last 20 years. Is it easy to find rebuild parts for these trannys? I really wish I lived in a higher education location.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
Ask them if parts for a Dodge 904 HD are available. Same trans internally

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk