News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 04:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 58291 times)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
Re: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2013, 02:22:45 AM »
I seem to have missed seeing this post.  Looks like things are coming together nicely.  The best part is when you're done you will have a great car that will last another 25 years. 

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
Thanks. Things have been coming together. Slowly but nicely.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
So I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that the Eagle is running better than it ever has been before even with a few things needing to be tweaked. The bad news is that the brakes are still not right. Maybe my Dad will chime in with the details but I am still thrilled with the progress that was made today.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:10 PM »
What's wrong with the brakes?

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2013, 11:59:59 PM »
What's wrong with the brakes?

When you slam on them the car doesn't quite jolt to a stop, it will jerk but still sort of slide. You will be jerked but it takes a little longer than it should to come to a complete stop. The car has new brakes and new brake lines all around and a new master cylinder and the brakes have been bleed twice. Perhaps it needs another bleeding or it needs to be driven a bit more or perhaps the brake booster is bad. I hope to work on it this weekend but with school/work/school play I don't know how much I can do.

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
Seems like a bad caliper,  brake hose,  or wheel cylinder.  Maybe rear shoes out of adjustment.  Even with a bad booster it should still stop evenly.  Would like to meet up and check out your car one day now that the weather is nice.  I'm right by 18 & 9.  I'll bring the show car and some free advice!

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »
Thank you for very much for your assistance. I would like to see your sedan since I've never seen one in person. When it is good to go I plan on bringing it to the car show at the A&P on Rt 9 and Ferry Road. I never saw an Eagle there or any AMC for that matter. So having the only one there would be sweet. Having two there would be awesome.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »
After months and months of searching; I finally got myself a cargo cover in my color! (thank you demonicdragon) One side is painted black, which does look pretty good, but I am going to see how I feel about it before I make a decision on if I should leave it black or bring it back to it's original color.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
I went to the Englishtown swap meet at Raceway Park today and found out about a guy in PA that says he has 8-10 Eagles in his yard!!   :hello2: Hoping to get a new oil pan and a few other odds and ends when we make the trip out there.

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2013, 05:53:46 PM »
I went to the Englishtown swap meet at Raceway Park today and found out about a guy in PA that says he has 8-10 Eagles in his yard!!   :hello2: Hoping to get a new oil pan and a few other odds and ends when we make the trip out there.
Probably a Nest member...
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2013, 11:47:44 PM »
No. I don't think so. He runs a salvage yard that seems to specialize in 4x4 vehicles.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
Replaced the battery cables and upgraded the ignition and distributor today. Starts up great now. Also did another brake bleeding, but they are still not quite right. We suspect the front calipers need to be replaced because the fluid we drain from them is a lot dirtier than the fluid we drain from the rear. Also got a cargo cover for my car as well.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2013, 06:43:46 AM »
Got a whole mess of parts from an AMC Spirit on the electronic bay site, which had a pretty nice blue steering wheel that I will be listing here. Also adjusted the rear breaks all by myself. It may not seem like much but for someone who is still pretty new to working on a car by themselves I am proud of myself. Brakes are STILL not how they should be.  :banghead: Does anyone know how to test the brake booster on an eagle?

Offline Chazhill14

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
Just curious but where was that SX4 that you were going to look at? You started this topic around the time I bought my 83 SX4, wouldn't that be a coincidence if I bought the one you were going to look at? I bought it in stroudsburg PA I believe.
1966 Mustang
1977 Monte Carlo
1999.5 Jetta TDI
1983 Eagle SX4
1982 Honda V45 Magna

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
The SX-4 I was planing to look at was in Long Island, NY. Wanted to look at it but the post was removed and never heard from the seller.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk