News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 03:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited  (Read 58304 times)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: My First Car: A 1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 03:37:02 PM »
Received the AMC Spirit AMX Parts today as well as a speaker cover from jim. Also got a new gasket so the aluminum valve cover is on now. Here are some photo's of what I got. Thank you to everyone on here I got the parts from.

A lower drivers side door hinge from GreatcarSX4

A speaker cover from jim

Some clear turn signals from sds

A set of front fender flares with trim pieces from ANT85MAR

Here are the parts off that 1979 AMC Spirit AMX I got from the auction place. If anyone knows what some of this stuff is let me know. I don't recognize some of this stuff.

Here is the reason I got it. Hood release cable with unbroken knob!!!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »
Just an update. Finished installing new brakes all around last weekend. That was the last major repair job on the car. Now all that needs to be done to get it back on the road is to do some carb tuning and working out some more emission lines. There is still more to do (sagging headliner, aligning headlights, fix a dent, body touch up, etc) but it will at least be drivable. Me and my dad will try to finish it up this weekend. It is actually approaching a whole year that I've had this eagle. I'll be happy to hopefully have the eagle drivable before that date and in time for the spring semester.

Speaking of college, I got straight A's last semester.  ;)
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
If you didn't already know, the instrument cluster on the floor near the shift knob was an option; beautiful bird!

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
Thank you. I have never seen one this nice with the options it has anywhere else. I knew the gauges were an option, and according to the sales brochure, the tach was also part of that package.

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2013, 07:06:33 AM »
Speaking of college, I got straight A's last semester.  ;)

Congrats.  Keep up the good work.  Maybe land a scholarship to grad school??
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »

Congrats.  Keep up the good work.  Maybe land a scholarship to grad school??

Actually, I already have one that pays for tuition.  :) And if I graduate with a 3.5 or higher; I can get the same thing for a four year school. The money we are saving will help with paying NJ teen boy insurance prices......

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
So today I had my first Pick n Pull experience. I found out that one of my local yards actually would allow you to pull your own parts. So me and Dad went over there today and this is what we got.

4.0 Head with rocker arm cover, exhaust and intake manifolds, push rods, and hardware from a 1992 Jeep 4.0

Overhead console from a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.

I also plan on getting a new oil pan and cargo cover from a member on here.

Question about the console. Does anyone know what I need to get the temperature and compass display working? I couldn't figure out if the sensor or whatever it is was in the console or was somewhere else in the Jeep.

I'll try to get pictures of my finds sometime or another. Have not been able to do much of anything with my Eagle from either being sick, too busy, or bad weather.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »

Question about the console. Does anyone know what I need to get the temperature and compass display working? I couldn't figure out if the sensor or whatever it is was in the console or was somewhere else in the Jeep.

Greymarooneightytwo figured out how to get the temp and compass working.  He gives details in his March 1 post on Page 72 of this thread:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=36180.msg327261#msg327261

Sounds like you got some good stuff at the yard!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
I did. I got everything I need for a 4.0 head swap from a 1992 block. So it looks like there was a sensor I was supposed to grab from the Jeep?

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
Yeah, there should have been a temp sensor on the front pillar near the radiator somewhere, likely... I ended up scavenging a usable part but it's not ideal; it's a few degrees off.

I really need to do a writeup on the process with some pictures to go along with, I'll try to tackle that in the next few days... but suffice it to say I removed the lights from the computer, bypassed the crazy "logic circuit" that was apparently controlling them, disabled the click switches and added one that controlled them all for simplicity, and then wired in the dash knob and door ajar as well.

Good luck, I'm happy with it!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:57:22 PM by greymarooneightytwo »

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »
Thanks. Maybe I'll go back to the Jeep and get it. A write up would be a great addition to the nest for people like me that want to do this. All I want is the compass and temperature displayed. I don't need all that other stuff.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2013, 03:31:27 PM »
That's good, because I don't know a way to get that other stuff working (it's actually got a lot of features) without obdII and the Grand Cherokee ECU/ECM... if someone happened to be doing a 4.0 swap I bet they could do it.

Otherwise, the compass is built-in to the computer so you just need a switched 12v line and a sensor for the temp

Luckily, the temp and compass happen to display at the same time :)

(Chrysler made a similar overhead console for their vans, pictured above because the display is similar)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:00:22 PM by greymarooneightytwo »

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »
That looks a lot like the one in our Grand Caravan. So the sensor is located near the radiator? What does it look like? Should I pull any wires from the Jeep as well?

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
The wires are just wires, so pulling just the sensor is easiest... I'm not absolutely positive, and it could vary by year and model, but the sensor may be located on a pillar in front of the radiator..

http://www.wjjeeps.com/ambient.htm

Offline EagleJoe93

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
Went back to the junkyard today and got the temperature sensor from the Jeep and also got the plugs for the overhead console as well in case I need them. Also got a new parking brake cable from Advance Auto.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk