News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 04:19:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Towing on all fours  (Read 4567 times)

rohnk

Towing on all fours
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
Can an Eagle safely be towed with all of it's wheels on the groud? I ask because I am planning to take my Eagle to the sand dunes and various chows but I don't trust it to drive it that far. I don't have a lare truck to tow a car trailer with and I know that if I dolly it, then I have to remove the rear driveshaft from the diff.

I figure I can shift into nuetral, lock the wheels straight and head on down the road with no problems.

Or am I bat stuff crazy!  :dontknow:

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
Re: Towing on all fours
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
Well per the manual when towing flat(on all fours), you need to remove BOTH drive lines.  At least that is what's in the manual for both my 82 SX/4 and my 86 Limited Wagon. they both have NP129 cases, while one is a disconnect axle(the 82) and one is a solid axle(the 85). I believe that the requirement to remove both shafts when towing flat is universal as none of the Eagles had a Neutral position in the transfer case. 

PS the Only towing configuration other than a trailer that is supported without removing a d-shaft is one set up in the air and the other on a set of AUX wheels.  I cant even remember the last time I saw a set of those, but I vaguely want to think it was on an old Wrecker/Tow Truck...

Doc

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
Really the only way to tow is on a trailer.  I have towed w/ both d-lines disconnected, with front on dolly and rear d-line disconnected and I've towed flat 4 on the ground, in Neutral, running.  All minus towing on a flatbed have their issues and will cost more than buying a cheap flat bed from CL if there is an issue.  I have sold light weight flatbed haulers that needed minor things for $400 on CL.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:52:43 PM by GRONK »
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:02 PM »
You need to tow dolly in 2wd or with the trans in neutral with a tow bar. Nice thing about the NP208 is you can pop it in neutral to tow with
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:36:53 PM »
I pulled my SX4 back from Billings to Ogden on a dolly with the rear d-shaft out & had no major issue.  The real issue is to not have the output from the transmission spinning without the tranny lubing itself...  Trailer is best IF it's not too heavy a trailer when combined with the car.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Flat on ground needs driveshafts removed for an eagle. or with enough power it will flat spot tires haha. even with neutral in trans and false neutral on the case. the driveshafts still spin.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:27 PM »
Also, when you flat tow, you need to keep the steering wheel unlocked.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline whiteandbronze4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 02:51:17 AM »
the sand dunes at silver lake? i love that place. i make a pilgramage there at least once a year. i didn't see any eagles there other than my own. haha.
AMC it just works.

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
Casper, you got your Eagles mixed up, it was Eaglefreek that made mention of the unlocked steering, EagleBEAK hasn't weighted in on this topic... 8)

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:21:05 AM »
Why would you not trust it to drive that distance?
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk