News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 02:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump?  (Read 8943 times)

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
Electric Fuel Pump?
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
Has any one installed a inline electric fuel pump on the 258 with carb and return line still there? If so what did you use and how is it working? thanks

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Electric Fuel Pump?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:28:24 PM »
Problem always seems to be too much pressure and it causes the float to stick open, wasting fuel unless you put on a pressure regulator
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
even with the return line line hooked up? and thanks.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 04:19:55 PM »
4.5 is perfect with the return hooked up. The Motorcraft will take slightly higher pressure, but not the Carters.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
My stroker with a mc2150 has used an electric pump for years. it has no fuel return line.

Manitowoc WI

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
Thank you all for the info! I went to the "zone" today and they have mr.gasket 4-7psi @ 35GPH. I'm running the carter so the 4-7psi one set to 4psi should work for me right? It's autozone part # 125 but I'm not sure if those pumps are any good. You know get 2 so you have a backup. I wonder if i should get an adjustable regulator anyways? Thank You again for all the help! I love this forum!!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
I run them first and add a regulator if there is a problem.

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:58 AM »
well i will give it a shot then. thankyou very very much for your help!!!!

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »
The return line is cool but not necessary.  You can run up to 6-7psi w/ a Motorcraft but I wouldn't go any higher than 4.5 w/ a Carter and 3.5 if you have a Webber.  You can egt a 7psi pump and run a simple regulator.  If running a Carter or a Webber, add the regulator to the mix.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

rohnk

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:14 AM »
What kind of pump do the Eagles have on them stock? I don't seem to be getting fuel to the carb after the swap. I pump the pedal while cranking and even hold the throttle wide open while cranking and get nothing.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »
What kind of pump do the Eagles have on them stock? I don't seem to be getting fuel to the carb after the swap. I pump the pedal while cranking and even hold the throttle wide open while cranking and get nothing.
are you running a return line?  if you are, do you have the fuel filter clocked correctly?
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

rohnk

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
Yes, I do have a fuel return line. I changed the filter when I did the carb swap so I know it is new. I have no idea how old the other one was.

Fuel in to the single port on one side, fuel out on the larger port closet to center. The other port goes to fuel return, which is the smaller and closest to the edge port.

I thought about removing the line to see if gas will spew out when I crank it but I don't have extra hands so that is a dangerous proposition.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »
Yes, I do have a fuel return line. I changed the filter when I did the carb swap so I know it is new. I have no idea how old the other one was.

Fuel in to the single port on one side, fuel out on the larger port closet to center. The other port goes to fuel return, which is the smaller and closest to the edge port.

I thought about removing the line to see if gas will spew out when I crank it but I don't have extra hands so that is a dangerous proposition.
take an empty soda bottle and stick the line to the carb in it so that you are free to crank.  after a few min check the soda bottle and if there is fuel in it then you are getting fuel from the fuel pump.  if you are not getting any fuel in the bottle check your oil level and make sure it has not increased and that it does not smell like fuel, I have had in the past (non AMC) where the fuel pump was boogered up and was pumping fuel into my crankcase
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
They use a mechanical pump that bolts to the passenger side of the block, just in front of the distributor. Pull your dipstick and smell the oil and see if it smells like gas. If it has a ruptured diaphragm, it could fill the crank case with fuel which could be dangerous and wipe out bearings also.  Also you may need to prime the engine by pouring a little fuel down the throat of the carb.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »
The mechanical pump is a very good system for a carburetor, and it should self-prime. If it doesn't and you have at least a half-tank of fuel then I'd start worrying about blockages or leaks.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk