News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 08:24:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The security hooks  (Read 1957 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
The security hooks
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
If you've ever replaced a door handle you know what they are. Anyway I'm trying to undo the door latch. How do you undo all these little hooks?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: The security hooks
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:16:34 AM »
The metal or nylon retainers?  Fingers or needle nose pliers.  Soak the metal ones in a bit of wd 40 or similar product to break the corrosion bond.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
Mine were too stubborn to use fingers.  Enough force with some pliers did the trick.

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
I've resorted to using a small flathead screwdriver or a pick tool to push on a stubborn retainer clip. I have a pick with a right angle bend in it near the tip, and that has come in handy for those clips, too.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »
I've resorted to using a small flathead screwdriver or a pick tool to push on a stubborn retainer clip. I have a pick with a right angle bend in it near the tip, and that has come in handy for those clips, too.
This is exactly what I've been doing. They're metal clips that require a bit of force due to corrosion. I'd like to undo the entire latch for examination and maybe replacement. Yesterday made me discover why the door handles have such strong springs wrapped around them. The latch itself has no return mechanism other than the handles but the mechanical effort for doing so still feels a bit forced. I'm not snapping another door handle because of this crap. This is going to be fixed.
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk