News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 11:08:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel studs  (Read 2161 times)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
Wheel studs
« on: December 29, 2011, 11:59:58 PM »
Was doing a tire swap on my semi-parts car and had the pleasure of trying to remove three studs on the rear that had the studs not pulled all the way through to seat them.  So the lug nuts were not tight but they just spin the stud.  After much persuasion I was able to remove all three lug nuts.  The wheel studs were too small and did not set into the hub properly.  Does anyone know the specs for the actual stud?  I looked on-line at one parts house and there were at least 5 different studs of different dimensions all supposed to fit the Eagle.  There was one broken stud on the right front and one new stud that had the wrong lug nut put on cross-threaded and put on backward.  You just gotta love the good ol' $5 replacement tire places, that's where the PO got all his tires.  Quality workmanship, fer sure!
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Wheel studs
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:44 AM »
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28743-981691.aspx

i used this as an exact match for my 84 sedan

Manitowoc WI

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 08:16:12 AM »
And of it turns out the holes in the axle are wallowed out too much for a stud to seat properly, you can always tack weld the stud to the axle on the back side, where the stud head is. Use a healthy tack weld, more than you'd use when doing trial n error fabrication work, but don't go crazy and make the stud permanent.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:04:08 PM »
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28743-981691.aspx

i used this as an exact match for my 84 sedan
Yeah that's the one I ended up getting from the local O'Reily store.  Ended up needing to put three in the rear hub.   They pulled through and seated fine.
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk