News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 05, 2024, 04:16:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLEASE check this when troubleshooting a poor runing Eagle......  (Read 1987 times)

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
PLEASE check this when troubleshooting a poor runing Eagle......
« on: December 28, 2011, 10:55:40 AM »
Worked on another Eagle yesterday.  The thing barely ran when it pulled into the driveway.  Took me less than 30 minutes to have all of the vacuum lines removed, sensors pulled, N u t t e r bypass completed and the Carter scrapped.  Before installing the Motorcraft i always pull out the 1/2" drive socket set and the breaker bar and check the bolts on the intake/exhaust manifold.  Same story as always, the top rear took 6 full turns, 1 in from that took 2 full turns, the #1 took 3 full turns.....  All Jeeps and Eagles have this problem.  Now the gasket is probably shot but I was able to seal the intake up to the block.

Probably would have run decent with the Carter if the intake was sealed properly.

Go out now, all of you, and check your intake manifolds........  This is one of those freebies that will burn you if you don't keep up with it.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: PLEASE check this when troubleshooting a poor runing Eagle......
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
2nd that, for all inline engines with separate intake/exhaust manifolds, attached by bolts or studs. Especially those with aluminum intakes.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
Re: PLEASE check this when troubleshooting a poor runing Eagle......
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
There is a bolt on the intake/exhaust manifold on the eagle.  It is under / in between the intake and exhaust manifold. I cannot get a socket at it to tighten. Any suggestions? It's pretty tight.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk