News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 02:26:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel sending unit  (Read 2464 times)

Offline WVEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
Fuel sending unit
« on: December 11, 2011, 07:55:13 AM »

My 1986 Eagle wagon , fuel gauge is jumping around now, I going to put it up on the rack check out all the wires and grounds. Thinking the sending unit might had it,s better days I started looking for new one, can find a replacement , I got to find out the ohms and depth, but I  just like to know if anyone use any from a cj jeep to work, or any other cross parts. I can find anyone  that  still selling  the replacement  for it !!!

WvEagle

Offline iAMCheap

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • A birdsong shatters the still
Re: Fuel sending unit
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »
I like to think that my Eagle is just waving to me when the needle is moving.
It seems to be a special option on AMCs
The blizzard goes on but still they must fly.
No one should go Where EAGLES Dare!
       TONY
 Glen Rock, PA

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »

My 1986 Eagle wagon , fuel gauge is jumping around now, I going to put it up on the rack check out all the wires and grounds. Thinking the sending unit might had it,s better days I started looking for new one, can find a replacement , I got to find out the ohms and depth, but I  just like to know if anyone use any from a cj jeep to work, or any other cross parts. I can find anyone  that  still selling  the replacement  for it !!!

WvEagle

American Parts Depot has them.  Good luck!

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/fueltank.htm
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
Mine does the same thing.  The gauge is generally accurate but bounces around a lot, even when not moving.  I had my tank dropped and checked the sending unit.  When I hooked it up to my old analog ohmmeter, the sending unit gave it a nice smooth steady sweep.  I've narrowed the problem down to it being a bad ground behind the instrument cluster, but I haven't bothered it.  It looks like a pain to get to and I have a lot of other bigger problems to deal with first.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk