News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 07:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What kind of finish is on the aluminum bumpers?  (Read 19891 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
What kind of finish is on the aluminum bumpers?
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:20:03 PM »
As I haven't had anything much I can do myself on my SX/4 I decided to sand and polish my aluminum bumpers as they have a number of scrapes in them.  I sanded the scrapes initially with 60 grit and then worked up to 220 grit and I noticed the sanded metal looks quite a bit different than the unsanded metal:

That's the sanded on the left and unsanded on the right.  I thought the bumpers were just bare aluminum but judging by what I see they actually have some sort of coating on them.  Does anyone know what it is?  I really like the look of my bare aluminum bumpers but I'm wondering if getting that finish will require a new application of whatever this coating is plus I had hoped to avoid sanding the whole bumper to remove it as it seems the sand paper needs to be 120 grit or coarser to remove it.

Offline iAMCheap

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 13
  • A birdsong shatters the still
Re: What kind of finish is on the aluminum bumpers?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
I don't know, but I'd like you to try some Mother's Aluminum polish or metal polish and let us know how it looks.
My bumpers seem streaky and need some help.
The blizzard goes on but still they must fly.
No one should go Where EAGLES Dare!
       TONY
 Glen Rock, PA

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:49:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're clear coated like most aluminum wheels are.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:48 PM »
I think your stuck sanding them and clearcoating them again. My opinion, but at this point in your build, and how great the car looks, the bumpers would look bad just half sanded.If it's clear coat wouldn't it strip off like paint easier ??with paint stripper of course. I use Metall polish on my bike restores on all chrome, nickel plated, and aluminum.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 06:10:07 PM »
I have a high speed angle sander that I bought a buffing pad for.  A paint polisher runs at aprox 3500 rpm and my sander at 7000.  I used a fine polishing compound on it and I thought that would burn through the finish pretty quickly but it didn't have any noticeable affect - seems awfully tough for a clear coat, but maybe that's what it is.  I don't think I have any paint stripper but I have some paint solvent that removed paint on the car so I'll give that a wipe on the bumper and see what happens.

I won't leave them half sanded, I just wasn't planning on all the labour to go over the entire bumper surface with 120 or 100 grit and then work my way up to 600 or 1000 and then polish.  I might skip doing the front bumper though, I'll see how much labour I put into the rear bumper. 

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:24 PM »
I hope you get them looking good so I will know what to do when mine get back from the body shop.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »
I'll keep you posted Milliard.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:35:17 PM »
I'm pretty sure they're clear coated like most aluminum wheels are.
I would agree.  I think that any kind of paint stripper that is good enough to remove the clear coat would etch the aluminum, and that would not be good. 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »
I spoke to hubby about it and he thinks its a clear anodizing.  He says its very tough and yes the whole bumper will have to be sanded off with 80 or maybe 100 grit.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:42:37 PM »
I spoke to hubby about it and he thinks its a clear anodizing.  He says its very tough and yes the whole bumper will have to be sanded off with 80 or maybe 100 grit.

Agreed. Its too tough of a finish to be a paint.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 09:15:49 PM »
Thats a big 10/4 on the clear anodizing.I used to work for a company that produced all the aluminum bumpers for G.M. and they were all anodized in clear coat.Tough as nails and a real pain to remove.Really tough to do by hand.I just bought my second eagle and the bumpers need refinished so I'll be watching this thread closely. Thought about doing it by hand like I did my alloy wheels but that coating is a tough one to deal with.Anyway good luck with your project and keep us posted.I'm sure there is a easier way just don't know what it is! yet!!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:17:09 PM »
Eagle bumpers are not aluminum, they are a type of stainless steel. You will need to cut and buff them like any stainless trim and then they can be clearcoated to maintain the shine.
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
Eagle bumpers are not aluminum, they are a type of stainless steel. You will need to cut and buff them like any stainless trim and then they can be clearcoated to maintain the shine.

I beg to differ. They are aluminum.

Manitowoc WI

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »
Hubby says the bumpers are too light to be stainless steel, I'm inclined to agree.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2011, 09:48:16 PM »
Just thought of this......a bumper only weighs 8lbs. So definitely an alloy metal.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk