News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 08:34:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: eagle won't crank  (Read 7026 times)

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
eagle won't crank
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:22:03 PM »
A couple of times when I would first start the eagle in the morning, I would turn the key to hear like a clunk, then I would back the key off and try again and it would start.  A couple of weeks later I went out to start it and I got nothing no crank, nothing.  I am charging the battery and I took up the starter to autozone and they tested it and said it was good.  How can I check the solenoid to know if maybe that went bad?  what other areas and tests can I do to narrow things down.  I did the ECM Test and everything was running fine.........any ideas?

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
Re: eagle won't crank
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:47:39 PM »
is the neutral safety plugged into the bottom of the solenoid tight?
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »
not sure what that part looks like, any pics??????

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »
It's on there and twisted it a little, but it was on there.  I put the starter back on, wiggled some wires around from where I did the ECM Test bypass and charged up the battery.  I hopped inside the car, pressed the pedal twice and the car was cranking no problem.  I let it crank for about 15 seconds then stopped.  I turned the key back then to the forward position to start and I got  nothing again and I thought I saw a little puff of smoke from around the battery area.  I'm doing this alone, so I have no idea where it came from.  I tried to start it twice and got the same thing, nothing, so now I don't know where to look or how to test things to narrow it down.  I will have to get some extra help to look under the hood as I turn the key..........

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
I'd be willing to bet it's 1 of 2 things.  ither the terminals and connections need to be cleaned up on the solenoid or the solenoid needs replaced
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
X3.  Connections, probably a good tome to replace the solenoid tii.  You can test the starter bt doing a direct connect w/ the + to + from the battery tothe starter.  Check all grounds in the bay.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
starter was tested already and they said it was fine.  It was cranking, then stopped and then I got nothing when I turned the key.  I had a kammback in HS. and I must have replaced solenoids in it, there must be a reason why they go bad all the time.  I will have to check all the wires and connectors to  where I did the ECM Test bypass and the coil upgrade.  Things started to happen after I went and taped and tied up all the wires.   isn't there a way to bypass the soenoid or a test to see if it's bad????

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
starter was tested already and they said it was fine.  It was cranking, then stopped and then I got nothing when I turned the key.  I had a kammback in HS. and I must have replaced solenoids in it, there must be a reason why they go bad all the time.  I will have to check all the wires and connectors to  where I did the ECM Test bypass and the coil upgrade.  Things started to happen after I went and taped and tied up all the wires.   isn't there a way to bypass the soenoid or a test to see if it's bad????
if your kammback was a 4 cyl there is no solenoid .... just GM awesomeness

to bypass just do what gronk said
1983 SX/4 SOLD

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
Use 2 screwdrivers or uninsulated pliers or a bent welding rod or such and short between the 2 posts on the solenoid.  Ignition must be "on" and tranny in neutral and/or brake set to make sure you don't run over yourself.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline HappyPappy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:12:14 AM »
  If it is automatic, you may want to check the neutral safety switch, should be on the steering column down under the dash, real pain to get to.  GOOD LUCK

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
picked up a solinoid at advance and I got it home and noticed it doesn't have the part on the bottom for the NSS and they don't have anymore in stock.  Can I still use and if so how?

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »
when i went and bought a new one it to didn't have the nss on it i just left it unpluged and i haven't had any problems so i say just leave it unpluged
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:51:20 AM »
The NSS is either an open or closed circuit.  Leave it disconnected and try.  If it works, great.  If not, ground out the line.  If it works, great.  If it still doesn't work, try 12V to the line (as a last resort).  I believe the 1st option will work.  BE SURE TO SHIELD THE CONNECTOR SO IT DOESN'T GROUND OUT BY ACCIDENT LATER ON.  I recommend tagging it as NSS for future owners.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
Solenoid should work without nuetral safety switch, but it will start in nuetral. Nuetral safety switch provides a ground for the solenoid when transmission is in neutral or park.

Offline brownbear

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 10:32:11 AM »
No one had a solenoid, so I just tried to troubleshoot it first.  I went out this morning and put the battery on a charge, I took off the electrical tape that I put on the connections I made for the new coil and ECM Test bypass and just wiggled and wires around looking for loose connectors or corrosion.  It is all very clean, no corrosion anywhere, all the connectors look good, I see no signs of anything melted or burnt out.  I friend came over and helped me, so I got into the car and he stood outside of it while I cranked it.  The first time he said he saw a very little puff of smoke on the side of the solenoid that the pos. battery cable goes to.  I didn't see anything melted and nothing felt hot.  I hopped back in and tried to start it 3 times and it finally started.  It hasn't been started in 2 months, it seem to run fine, but it took a while before it got warm enough for me to kick the idle down.  I drove it around for a 1/2 hour and parked it.  I shut it off and tried to start it 3 times and it started  no problem everytime.  I have no idea how I got it to start or why moving the wires around may have helped.  Now I'm afraid to touch anything for the fear I might make it worse. Any ideas on why I had a little puff a smoke around that side of the solenoid?????  I will continue going out and starting it today and I will try and start it everyday and see what happens.  I need to get a emissions test on it sat. so I need it running and I have to hope it passes.  I will continue to look at the wires to see if I am missing something.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk