News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 20, 2024, 11:19:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Floor pan rust - Temporary Penetrol?  (Read 14376 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Floor pan rust - Temporary Penetrol?
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »
I've pulled back the driver side floor carpeting to find a new amount of rust.  A screw driver went through in two areas near the frame rail.  Would it be alright to use a wire brush to get up the loose stuff and then paint it with Penetrol to stop it from getting any worse before welding is done?
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Floor pan rust - Temporary Penetrol?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »
I'd say that's a good idea.   You'll have to remove any coating before welding but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
Then give it a week to dry, then use generous amounts of construction adhesive and bolts to put in a new piece of sheet metal (seals holes) until you can do welding. Just as easy to do the whole floor as it is to do a spot where the hole is.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:35:45 PM »
Can you give me an example of a good construction adhesive?  I'm not familiar with that.  I used a bit of purple power de-ruster on the lighter spots.  It converted it to a black, primer-ready surface.  I almost don't buy it as being "rust-free" though.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »
I use LePage "PL Premium" Construction Adhesive.
Polyurethane based.

Do not use "no more nails" or similar products (haven't tried it, but everyone selling it says it is no where near as strong as the PL).

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:00:11 PM by Canoe »

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:56:02 PM »
Two street signs go missing and another rusted floor is repaired.... hahahaha
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:58:40 PM »
Overkill.
One street sign is plenty thick. Something thin for the other side if the existing floor is too rusted to bolt to.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 11:11:52 PM »
Good post.  Friend of mine welded in new metal.  I then cleaned it, dried it and primed with epoxy primer.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 12:40:37 AM »
Hilarious! Gronk had it right. Why fix one floor when you can fix both? That's the reason for a second street sign to go missing. Of course if you have one Eagle, the addiction is just starting. The second Eagle will follow her home soon, so that one will want the same love too. Soon you'll have a clear shot to work each day without any stop signs to hamper the journey.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 01:43:02 AM »
I replaced my drivers side front floor on my wagon.  I wanted to do a simple fix and ended up cutting up the parts car to get a solid floor.  On any steel repair like that make sure after the piece is welded in to use seam sealer on the front and back along all the seams.  This keeps the moisture out.  Befor I applied my seam sealer I used POR 15 on all the metal pieces after scraping off the factor sound deadener.  My goal is to do this once only.   
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:12 PM »
Yep, I bought a can of brushable seam sealer from Eastwood.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »
I replaced my drivers side front floor on my wagon.  I wanted to do a simple fix and ended up cutting up the parts car to get a solid floor.  On any steel repair like that make sure after the piece is welded in to use seam sealer on the front and back along all the seams.  This keeps the moisture out.  Befor I applied my seam sealer I used POR 15 on all the metal pieces after scraping off the factor sound deadener.  My goal is to do this once only.   
Everywhere I used seam sealer or POR-15 on steel has failed. But we get a lot of salt on streets here.
For seam sealer, I use the PL construction adhesive.
I used to use epoxy primer. Now I use Penetrol or heat-treated engine enamel. They work so well, I haven't bothered with epoxy primer since, except for outer body work where I like an epoxy flash coat to seal it before colour.
Then Waxoyl Hard Body on the underside, Waxoyl Rust Inhibitor on the inside.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 10:41:07 PM »
Everywhere I used seam sealer or POR-15 on steel has failed. But we get a lot of salt on streets here.
For seam sealer, I use the PL construction adhesive.
I used to use epoxy primer. Now I use Penetrol or heat-treated engine enamel. They work so well, I haven't bothered with epoxy primer since, except for outer body work where I like an epoxy flash coat to seal it before colour.
Then Waxoyl Hard Body on the underside, Waxoyl Rust Inhibitor on the inside.

I guess I did it wrong.  I'll let you all know in a couple years. 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
I guess I did it wrong.  I'll let you all know in a couple years. 
Not wrong. Just POR-15 is so expensive for something that fails so often, and when applied according to their fine print with proper degreasing (they make an excellent degreaser, but expensive).
I've got a friend that's really ticked he paid so much and spent his time to do the whole frame of his Yukon, only to have it peel off in less than a year.
Rusts through the paint, creeps under the paint, peels off; not at all like their claims.
I don't want to revisit repairs. The only thing I'll still use POR-15 for is on aluminum parts. When those are out of the sun, so far they usually stay protected and looking great.
As others have success with it, the only thing I can come up with to explain the consistent failure is the winters here have a lot of freeze/thaw, wet, and salt on the roads. Grasping at straws, but unwilling to waste my time using it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk