News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 08:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Battery Light  (Read 8863 times)

Offline Reitan

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Battery Light
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:32:07 PM »
The battery light in my Eagle, Lewis, continues to glow (albeit dully) after all of the other diagnostic lights have gone off. Mother says the alternator could be going bad (it is the original after all ;D) ; I think it might be the wiring shorting out. As of a few hours ago, I took him on a fifteen minute round trip of the town where I live (garnering many ??? looks  ;D). When I started him up, the battery light glowed brightly and then went off with all the others, but came back on when I tried to get him to move. He starts fine, idles a little rough (always has though :( ), and runs the same as always.

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Battery Light
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »
Most atoparts stores can check it out to tell you if the alt is good or not. Maybe its as simple as a bad ground.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Reitan

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
Taking him to an auto store could help, that is, if mother would let me take him out of the county. For some reason, she is afraid something might happen to either me or him

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »
Assuming tou do not have a volt meter.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Reitan

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »
Mother says we have a volt meter. Now we just need the time to use it. :-D

Online mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:57:31 PM »
When at idle you should see about 14 volts.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:09:38 AM »
Start the vehicle and disconnect the negative cable from the battery if the motor keeps running the alternator is working.
There should be a old post about the same problem you are having, I remember it going on for a good time since the problem couldn't be pinpointed it took a lot of trial and error.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
When mine was glowing, the alternator was going bad. I think I drove it for about a year with it glowing, but it got worse. I replaced the alternator, no more glow.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:58 AM »
Mine was glowing. The engine was TOOOOO retarded. It like the computer told the battery, "I'm not going to charge you for my engine isn't timed. I advanced the timing. Battery has been charging ever since and strongly.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »
MY AMX was doing the same thing. One thing I did notice it glowed brighter with the lights pulled on , thus it wasn't quite totally shot, but the load of the lights made it worse , as it couldn't keep up with the demand.

Offline Reitan

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
I did the same thing with my headlights as 68AMXGOPAC, but it didn't make any difference. Then I disconnected the negative battery cable (thanks to Gil-SX4 for the tip) and he still ran. Actually, he started to idle smoother with the cable off :-\. While the cable was off, the battery light grew so dim I could only see it by cupping my hands over the instrument panel. The only thing left to check is the alternator ground wire. I just have to trace it from the alternator up. And I can't find it right now :banghead:

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
It has been said on here that it will damage an alternator to let the motor run with the ground cable disconnected.   I would not do it for a long period of time.  Many people, including me, have done it as a test.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
Don't forget that most of our AMC Eagles are older then 20 years, so it is a good idea to check all the cables, wires, terminals and connections. All so make sure you clean the connections.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:27:03 AM »
Don't forget that most of our AMC Eagles are older then 20 years, so it is a good idea to check all the cables, wires, terminals and connections. All so make sure you clean the connections.

Hmmm, I would say all of our Eagles are over 20 years old : ) .

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
I've been very anal about that. i put a little dieletric grease on the terminals and plug in's for proper connection and power!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk