News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 10:07:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Factory Battery  (Read 3674 times)

Offline juhap

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 57
Factory Battery
« on: July 31, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
Do you have a pic of original AMC battery?

American 440 Hardtop, American 220 2d (x2), American 330 4 d, American 330 Cross Country(x2), American F/EX Gasser, AMC Eagle STW (x4), AMC Matador Coupe Oleg Cassini(2x), Hornet 2d (x3), Willys Jeepster 1950, Jeep Cherokee 2d, Rogue 1966-SCRambler Replica
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465938  eagle
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2465930   american
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263025   american HT

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Re: Factory Battery
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:05 PM »
Juha, I don't know, but the Optima Red Top gives the car just that little extra American edge (and it is the one of the best of course).
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 06:11:22 PM »
Juha, I don't know, but the Optima Red Top gives the car just that little extra American edge (and it is the one of the best of course).

Optima actually ran into problems the last few or so years. I went through three under warranty on my car. Before that, almost every car I had used one without issue. I ended up just going a HD Energizer battery, and it's fine.

I've got a bunch of friends who run them in their race car's, and I guess lately they've been back to doing OK, but still not worth the money.

A lot of our local performance shops actually dropped them just because of the number of warranty/return issues.
Costco use to sell them as well and discontinued them around here for the same reason.

Their warranty also changed. One of the shops here was telling me that Optima did not want to warranty any batteries put into performance vehicles, and to label it as "abusive usage" to void the warranty. The owner didn't like that, so he stopped carrying them. Same thing if you have an aftermarket audio system, or even a winch. Anything considered "non stock current draw" can be used to void the warranty.

They were one of the best batteries you could buy, but they were purchased by another company who changed their internals.  From what I remember, they also moved production to Mexico. They are very expensive in comparison to what else is out there these days, and they've switched from a pure lead base to a lead/tin mix.

Unless you have a lot of extra money to blow, I personally wouldn't buy one, just from my experience with them not lasting over a year.

Maybe Europe's supplier is different than here though?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
AMC used "clear power" batteries until the mid '70's.  These were the ones that you could see the fluid level from the side.  I don't remember what AMC used after that.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagle1985

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
Source: 1980 AMC Accessory Catalog

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:07:13 PM »
That sure looks like them
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »
I know there is companys who make older style covers to put over new batteries. Since they probably don't make them for AMC's, I don't think it would be too hard to paint a battery white, and red/blue/green with an AMC sticker, but it will void your batteries warranty.

I would totally give that a try if I had an AMC!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk