News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 09:48:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Juice box?!  (Read 5002 times)

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Juice box?!
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:16 PM »
Ok, so last night my 87 up and died on me at a stoplight from which there was no recovery.  After diagnosis, it was found that no spark was to blame and the little module bolted to the passenger wheel well with a "Juice Box" sticker on it is probably the culprit.

In true Eagle fashion, the manufacturer seems to have vanished along with most of the forums that contained information on the finer points of this upgrade.  From what I've been able to garner from many searches, it seems this is just a (possibly more expensive) pre-packaged Motorcraft TFI upgrade, but my mechanic and I are having a bit of a disagreement on whether or not this little module is just a coil or whether it has some other component to it as well.  I think it's just the TFI coil in a fancy package, but he seems to think there's more to it.

Does anyone know if it's just a fancy looking re-packaged high-voltage coil?  ???
'94 Crown Vic P71 (my baby) [permanently out to pasture :'( ]
'96 Crown Vic P71 (the new beast) [the primary driver]
'83 Eagle Sport Wagon [almost flying again]
'87 Eagle Sedan [running!]
'80 Honda Accord HB (aka Boing Boing) [the little one]

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
Re: Juice box?!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »
Juice box? Never heard of it.

I'm assuming your not talking the ignition module. But does it look like one?? A picture would come in handy for sure.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:45:06 PM »
Juice box? Never heard of it.

I'm assuming your not talking the ignition module. But does it look like one?? A picture would come in handy for sure.

Here's the only image I've found online.  The module I'm referring to is the triangular shaped box in the picture.  On my car I notice that the distributor lead is connected to the post jutting upwards in the picture and I couldn't see where the other wires run to.  It's also got a sticker on it from driveajeep.com which is now defunct.  My mechanic is of the opinion that it contains both the ignition module and the coil, but I'm not so sure.  I noticed the large, grey, square, metal box (had a NAPA logo on it) next to it which I always thought was the ignition module/engine "computer", leading me to believe this odd shaped module is only a coil.

Any ideas?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »
That's just a coil from a Ford vehicle, aka TFI coil. The juice box was just a package of the parts to do the TFI upgrade. Ford distributor cap, rotor, cap adapter, TFI coil, and plug wires. You can pick up that coil from any auto parts store. If your "mechanic" is telling you it's just a coil, he is 100% correct. If not find another mechanic.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:59:34 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:11 PM »
Ok, because the extra wiring harness at the bottom has thrown us both for a loop.  It seems to have too many wires to just be a coil, but I can't think of anything else it could be for since I've performed the TFI upgrade on my '83 as the guide says and I didn't do any changing of the ignition module.

So am I right in saying that if I just go and get a new coil I should be running again?

I bought a Pertronix coil for my '83 so will likely do so for this one since they seem to be widely regarded as the better choice.

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »
Well after diagnosis, it seems that the Juice Box module is just a coil and, sadly, was in good working order.  We traced the fault to the ignition module and have the car running on the box from my '83 wagon  :(

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 05:09:46 PM »
Here is the juicebox gold 6:

http://www.crtperformance.com/html/tfi.html

Please check the primary resistance on the juicebox coil, if it is anything below 1.35 Ohms it will fry the next ignition module too.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 05:12:37 PM by Jurjen »
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline djvanyel

• RAWK Star
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »

Please check the primary resistance on the juicebox coil, if it is anything below 1.35 Ohms it will fry the next ignition module too.

Good tip Jurjen, I wouldn't have thought to check that.  We'll have to add that to the list of things to do.

Egg to you!

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 04:56:23 AM »
You can also check the IM after some city driving or 15min of idling, when it gets really hot, you know that the primary resisatntance of the coil is too low.
This IM can switch about 4 to 5A which equals about 3 Ohms.
The original coil is 1.35 Ohm and the resistor wire is also 1.35 Ohm (together 2.7 Ohm).
That why I advise to use a 3 Ohm (Pertronix) coil when the resistor wire is by-passed.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
It's just a simple TFI distributor upgrade w/ a fance sticker on it (and china electronics)  I'm familiar with the kit and the seller who sold it.

This is the same TFI kit I sell for $85 only I use better parts and include all the parts boxes so you can get replacements.

The "Juice Box" seller is a DB.  I sent a lot of business his way for years until I found out he wasn't supporting his customers.  I have replaced a lot of parts for his kits over the years.

I can send you any part #'s you need or I can get you the parts.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk