News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 08:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ball joint removal  (Read 10061 times)

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
ball joint removal
« on: June 12, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »
i need some info on removing the ball joints on Eagle Eyes as i have never done this before, and before anyone asks yes they are the originals from 1980 as they are riveted in but that ain't a problem as i plan on grinding the heads off. what i need to know is do i need to get a spring compresser. and what other tools will i need besides the grinder, screwdriver, hammer, and ball joint puller.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: ball joint removal
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 03:28:38 AM »
I did all of them on my Concord and it wasn't so bad. You do not have to remove the springs, however, the TSM says to put a block of wood between the "frame" and the lower control arm, so that the control arm rests on the wood.

UPDATE: THE BLOCK OF WOOD GOES BETWEEN THE FRAME RAIL AND THE UPPER CONTROL ARM.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:41:45 PM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 10:05:41 AM »
If you look in the how to's sections I believe someone wrote one up on this.  But just in case, you will need a few sockets and wrenches.  I find it is easier to remove the brake caliper and half shaft and just set the steering knuckle aside when replacing the ball joints, I also recommend doing uppers and lowers at the same time to prevent in unnecessary tear down in the future, and don't forget to put in your cotter pins after tightening down those castle nuts good and tight.  It is also beneficial to get the greaseable ball joints as apposed to the sealed units, and they are usually only a dollar or two more.

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 50
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 01:08:52 AM »
does any one know about how long it takes to remove the ball joints as i only get one day a week off and don't have much time to do much.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:18:56 AM »
Ive been thinking about those too for Ginger. I know the stock ones are riveted on, so that seems like its going to be kinda a pain in the butt. I think once the old ones are chisseled off its a pretty managable project.....hopefully!

R U doing them on Eagle eyes or Survivor?
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »
Here is what you do,

First, unless I'm crazy (it's been a while since i've been under an eagle) the upper ball joint is held on by rivets(if it's original) or bolts( if it's been replaced) the uppers take almost no time at all to change, i think i did a set of uppers in less than 2 hours. All you need to do is pickle fork the ball joint out(if you don't know hat a "pickle fork" is, it is a two prong "fork" that you jam on both sides of pin of the ball joint and hammer it to separate the balljoint from the knuckle) remove the rivets with a cold chisel or a bolt in the standard fashion. Replace and reinstall.

The lowers are a bit more tricky as I think they are pressed in. Someone correct me on this though before i write up to remove pressed in ball joints.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 50
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:49:54 AM »
the lower ball joint is rivited in and and the eagle i'll be working on is Eagle Eyes.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:55:49 AM »
Id like to meet up with you when you decide to do it do it...that way I would have a good Idea of what kind of project it is.

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:59 AM »
Well then the lower ball joint is the same deal. Real quite easy to do. For someone who had never done them before, assuming you have a pickle fork, it should take no more than 5-6 hours if your meticulous to do all four.

And also, once you have removed the knuckle from the ball joints(not an easy task, the easiest way I've found to separate them is to wrap a chain tightly around the lower control arm, feed a long pipe trough the chain and use it as leverage to pull the lower control arm down.) make sure not to pop off the tie rod end with the pickle fork, once the fork is used on a joint like that it ruins it.

It is also important to have the car about 2 feet off the ground when you do this, to be able to get that Lon bar in there with sufficient movement.

Let me know if this makes sense.
2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 50
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 02:16:47 AM »
shane would love to meet up again when i do the ball joints and yes mechanic i do have a pickle fork.

Offline Bird-o-Prey

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 39
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 02:37:38 AM »
I used a large cold chisel and a sharp hit from the 2.5lb persuader to pop off the rivet heads.  It's a lot easier than trying to get in with a grinder.  the ball joints just drop off.  Make sure you are not using a woodworking chisel.  Place the edge of the chisel right on the edge of the rivet and give it a few good solid whacks.  Once the heads have popped off, you should be able to just tap the exposed top of the ball joint to pop it down and out.  The new ones bolt in.  You might have to drill out the rivet holes a bit depending on the size of bolt that comes with them in the kit.  I didn't have to, but be prepared.  The best thing to do is to pull the the wheel, half shaft, caliper and steering knuckle off.  That is just wrenching.  You might want to consider replacing your tie rods while you are there.  They only take a couple of minutes to replace.  You will need to have a wheel alignment done if you replace the tie rods.  You can line the new ones up next to the old ones and adjust them to the approximate length, so driving for a short time won't damage anything.  Including the tie rod replacement I don't think you would need any longer than a day to get it all done and back on it's wheels (assuming no other major problems crop up along the way...just be prepared).

Cheers
No matter how bad YOU think it is ... it could always be WORSE!!

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 50
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
well the chisel idea is a good one but for some unknown resone they put the rivits in upsidedown so getting to the heads will be very interesting. as for the tie-rods need money first before i can get to them. and i was only able to afford ball-joints so only the right will have new ones till i can get some more money (got love bills).

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:16:15 PM »
Dude....I LOVE bills....especially that 900 dollar insurance billI just got hit with, I can just feel Progressives love :P

Offline maddog

• Thumbs Up 50
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 02:11:49 AM »
wow $900 why in the world is it that high? i only pay $81.79 for both my eagles.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
I did my upper ball joints and Regalwizard's ball joints, and the longest part of the task is chiseling out the old rivets (if they are original).

the rest is pretty easy.  Well once you pry down on the lower control arm, and get the thing into position.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk