News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 01:42:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing front fender liner and wheel well flares  (Read 3662 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Installing front fender liner and wheel well flares
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »
I'm ready to install the plastic wheel flares and aluminum trim on my front fenders but its been so long since I took it apart I can't remember if the inner fender liner has to go on before the wheel flare or if the wheel flare can be installed first and then the fender liner.  I prefer to install the wheel flare first so I can get behind the fender while I'm installing it.  Can I do it this way or do I have to put the fender liner in first because the wheel flare covers up mounting holes for the fender liner?

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
Re: Installing front fender liner and wheel well flares
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
I would install the liner first.

For installation of the flare and trim, I don't really see a need to access the inside of the fender.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »
When I installed the wheel flares on the rear of the car the barrel clips were really tight going in, I had to place them over the hole, put a plastic putty spreader on the clip and then use a hammer to tap it into place.  When I put the aluminum trim in place I had to hit it pretty hard with a rubber hammer to get the pointy piece in the barrel clips.  With the front fender not being supported very well like the rear quarter panel I'm worried that the force required to get the clips in place will bend in the front fender.  I wanted to have access to the rear of the fender during installation so I can put a body working dolly behind the fender to support it while I'm hammering the clips in place.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:37:56 PM »
i have removed the fender liner with the wheel flare in place, so I assume the opposite is also true - that you can install the wheel flare and then the liner.  I have to re-install a liner and that is my plan!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »
Thanks, Vangremlin

Alcology

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
Yes, what Van says works.  I took out the liner and put it back in.  It's awkward to handle, but it will work.  It should snap in and line up with the bolt holes spot on.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:58:22 PM »
It's awkward to handle, but it will work.  It should snap in and line up with the bolt holes spot on.

If they had made the bumper ends out of the same material they used for the fender liners, every Eagle would still have all 4 ends plus a full set of spares.  I've pulled, tugged, and twisted on a number of those liners, and have yet to have one break!  They are tough as nails!!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
I went to install the fender liners on Friday but they both had a crack in them so I waited until Hubby had time Saturday to melt together the cracks.  I installed the front passenger side wheel flare and aluminum trim Saturday, so I sure hope the fender liner can go in last, lol!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk