News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 10:50:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seeking Advice and Tips on Replacing Manifold Gaskets  (Read 2590 times)

Offline RCielec

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Seeking Advice and Tips on Replacing Manifold Gaskets
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
Ahoy !
1985 4.2L Eagle Ltd. Wagon
The intake manifold gasket is leaking air (rear, toward firewall).
There are two bolts (take a 9/16 socket) below and in the middle that my I can't get a socket or wrench fitting nice and solid on. So, I'm not even attempting any removal at this time.
Any tips on how to access thesetow bolts? The other bolts seems readily accessible. Yes, my tool set is not extensive merely a standard minimum assortment to "fix stuff" not overhaul and rebuild stuff.

Also, I've not looked at a parts view but, I am assuming a common gasket is used to accommodate both the intake and exhaust manifold. Regardless, I will be changing both the intake and exhaust.

Thanks.
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois; U.S.A.
Richard Cielec
Chicago, Illinois

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: Seeking Advice and Tips on Replacing Manifold Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »
correct size extension works nicely.

Manitowoc WI

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:52:02 AM »
Shallow socket, a fairly long extension, and maybe a swivel (can't remember if it was my jeep that needed it or the eagle, lol). Still a PITA, but possible.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Sunny

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
One of a few options and I've used in the past if a socket or wrench wont fit:

- Use a swivel head for your rachet. Works 99% of the time. GREAT tool to have.

- Torches + Wrench = Custom angled wrench  ;D.. I've made a few 'custom' bent wrenches.. put it in a vice.. heat.. bend..repeat if needed.

- Rachet wrenches work wonders too. They generally have have a flex head [if you get a good set].

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »
You need a set of 3/8" instead of 1/2" and some extensions.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk