News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 11:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 249?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline projectscreamingeagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
249?
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:22:13 AM »
ive looked for anything on the nv249 but havent found anything maby i just havent looked hard enough. i have acsess to a NV249 (needs rebuild) has any one ever done this swap? can it be done? what would i need? it came out of a 92 or 93 jeep i believe. ive got a 84 waggon with a built tf998
with his claws bearing the screaming eagle will prevale
im not buyist i own an AMC
'is that suppose to go there' - class mate 'I don know... we'll find out' -me

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: 249?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
I like the idea.

The 249 was available in two versions, both with viscus couplers like the Eagle. The early (1993–1996) version had no differential lock. The later version (1996 and beyond) had a rear torque bias, but included a provision to lock the center differential.

The only two things you need to look at are the rear output, I don't know if it's a slip yoke or a fixed like ours; and the speedometer output. Both can be overcome, but if you need to change the rear yoke you'll need a slip yoke eliminator or have a Jeep drive shaft re-sized to fit.

On later NV/NP cases digit one is 1 for four wheel drive only, 2 for two wheel drive available. Digit two is the case series, and digit three indicates differential type, 1 for no differential, 2 for open, 3 for electric locked, 4 and 5 both indicate an asymmetrical torque split planetary gear and gear drive, 6 means an electronic clutch pack, 7 means a hydraulic clutch pack, and 9 means a viscous coupler.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:58:20 AM by BenM »
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:22:44 PM »
i like the idea that its a full time unit (not that ill ever need it) and its a low range unit wich is what i was really after. i do plan on taking it to the strip here n there and that will really help it get out of the hole like a bat out of  >:D as well i plan on doin some wheelin and it would be nice to have the 4low if i get into some rocks or somthin. o almost forgot 4wd donuts are FUN! lol thanks for the info man. i wonder if it does have the slip yoke if i could just swap out the output shaft. it needs a rebuilt any way ya know

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
Yeah, and the non-locking low would be great for towing since you can start out on a dry paved surface in low.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 03:15:34 AM »
really? SWEET! we do a lot of towing here (espicially with all the horses) we feed giant round bails roughly 1500 lbs. now i need to find a hitch. lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk