News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 01:47:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie question on which Eagle to get  (Read 3627 times)

Offline greggblue

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Newbie question on which Eagle to get
« on: March 02, 2011, 09:07:24 PM »
Hi all,

I have a beach house in the Outer Banks @ NC and I want to park a 4WD down there in the garage to run around on the beach when I go down there. I thought it would be fun and different to have an Eagle out there... Would draw some stares and be totally cool.

I have several questions:

- Can the Eagle go offroad and handle deep and soft sand?

- Which particular model(s) should I look for?

- Any particular gotchas I need to look out for?

- Anyone have a decent Eagle for sale on the East Coast?

Thanks!

Gregg

Offline byrdock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Newbie question on which Eagle to get
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »
There's a Kammback on Wilmington CL I hope someone gets before I have to get it.
Click for Buies_Creek, NC Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:42:56 PM »
Welcome to the nest first off and to answer your questions ....... Deep sand i don't know personally but you can make an eagle for whatever he terrain depending upon how determined you are to get it there.As far as models to look for is depending on how many people/ stuff you want to haul, at the moment I am the proud owner of a wagon (my daily driver when it is not needing repairs), a SX/4 that i am going to be restoring, and I will be the official owner of a Kammback today (I love all of the eagle models).  Wagons are the easiest models to find.

When you are looking at an eagle to purchase as a driver prepare to be on the ground, look at the frame sections (behind the tires  is the major spot), check the lines for rust (gas and brake lines run down the passenger side if they look really rusty plain on replacing them) look at the rockers (there are currently replacement outerrocker panels available), check the floors, check all of the bushings in the front suspension, look under the hood to see if there are any loose vacuum lines (this can cause the car to run poorly, not pass an emissions test, and not idle), check for aluminum valve cover (87 and 88 cars come from the factory with them, others have a leak prone plastic valve cover that you will end up replacing)  

And as far as cars for sale. At the moment I know of 2 SX/4s for sale in southern  Pennsylvania, possibly more (send me a message if you are interested)

Happy hunting
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
Eagles are pretty versatile. They make a good daily driver but can be modified into anything from a lowrider to a rock crawler. Like Bill said though they had tendencies to rust. Stock they are just as if not more capeable than an Outback...as they are a true AWD that can be operated in 4x all the time...plus I think they look way cooler. With some good wide tires and some suspension mods you could have the sweetest beach buggy around..just make sure you keep the undercarriage washed off. Best of luck
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
              HI I for one would not take an :eaglebig: out there .IT would be a sin to let an  :eaglebig:  set out there and rust away .  IF you cared for these cars the way we do .you would not take an  :eaglebig: out there....Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk