News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 10:42:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time to make room for a full size spare  (Read 15004 times)

Offline 83Eagle!

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 180
Re: Time to make room for a full size spare
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 07:52:39 PM »
Thanks for the update.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 01:08:13 AM »
Thanks for the update.

No worries... it gives me some time to be absolutely certain of what I want to do, because after a certain point it will be very difficult to go back....
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 02:05:04 AM »
im still trying to figure out what to do for a spare tire for the sx4's. im wanting to get a grill gaurd on it. i been thinking about monting a spare tire on the front bumper like the old 70's fords did alot. i could even push that way if it was mounted stout enough. just as long as it didnt block to much air to the radiator... but that might look a little retarded. i guess when i go on long trips, ill just toss a spare in the trunk.

Id be interested to hear what you finally decide.  I'm currently trying to figure out the whole spare tire situation, my car didn't have one when I bought it.  I'd like to have a full size spare, but I also don't want to sacrifice all the cargo room in the sx4.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
I carry a full size spare when I travel, which takes up a lot of my cargo area.  I usually don't carry one in town, because I am usually hauling stuff when I am around town in the Eagle.  I see the spare Tougeagle is using might actually be the same size as mine.  It is a Jeep Cherokee wheel.  Not sure on the tire size though. 

im still trying to figure out what to do for a spare tire for the sx4's. im wanting to get a grill gaurd on it. 

Did you see the grille guard/push bar I put on my Eagle?  I would think a mounting bracket for  spare could be mounted in a similar fashion.  I have the push baar rigged so I can unbolt it should I decide to not have it on there anymore.  You could do something similar with a spare mount.  I'd bet one could be made stout enough to push a vehicle if needed.  I am not a fabricator though. 

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »
I carry a full size spare when I travel, which takes up a lot of my cargo area.  I usually don't carry one in town, because I am usually hauling stuff when I am around town in the Eagle.  I see the spare Tougeagle is using might actually be the same size as mine.  It is a Jeep Cherokee wheel.  Not sure on the tire size though. 

im still trying to figure out what to do for a spare tire for the sx4's. im wanting to get a grill gaurd on it. 

Did you see the grille guard/push bar I put on my Eagle?  I would think a mounting bracket for  spare could be mounted in a similar fashion.  I have the push baar rigged so I can unbolt it should I decide to not have it on there anymore.  You could do something similar with a spare mount.  I'd bet one could be made stout enough to push a vehicle if needed.  I am not a fabricator though. 
I took off one of my wheels and used it as placement, stock tire size 205/75/15

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »
I goot ahold of the welder who did my push bar, and he is coming over tomorrow to see if he can come up with an idea for me to be able to carry a full size spare externally.  I can't wait to see what he comes up with.  I emailed a craigslist add for a welder with my idea, and it turns out it's the guy who did my push bar.  

Here's what I sent him...
I found this spare tire carrier that is for a 1 1/4" receiver hitch.  I emailed him asking if there was a way to modify it to tilt down when I need to fill up.  He said he'd come over tomorrow and figure out something.  Says he can fabricate something up without having to modify something that is already built.  

I am going to show him the receiver hitch idea and the one picture that Eaglefreek posted of the Wrangler.

I'd love to have something independent of the receiver hitch in case I want to tow a trailer and carry the spare, but not too worried about it, because if I am towing I can carry the spare on the trailer.  We'll see what he comes up with.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 10:27:43 PM »
This looks good.  ;)

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 180
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
I have a post going on the spare tire carrier for the Eagle.

are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:04 AM »
I'm discontinuing work on this so if anyone else wants to take over the thread, or let IE delete it, more than welcome to...

What's your 'sona?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk