News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 22, 2024, 10:41:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: brake fluid problem  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Lateralus11

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
brake fluid problem
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
Hello again,

So my brakes on my 84 eagle aren't that great, I'm pretty sure its that the fluid is low, I was looking through the manual and found the brake fluid section but I can't find where to put the brake fluid in the car.  It shows a can like thing that some guy is opening the top of it and checking the fluid level, then he's pouring the fluid into a small hose or tube with a funnel.  What tube is this?  

First of all, the can thing that I mentioned doesn't exist in my car, its just not there, the manual shows that its just to the top left of the master hydraulic cylinder held by a metal clasp but no such thing is in my car.  Second, I found two tubes that may be brake fluid related.  One has a plastic insert cap thing, that tube is 1/2 inch diameter, the other tube I see is 1/4 inch Outer diameter and is plugged by a simple flat head screw.  I couldn't find anything else.  

Lastly, connected to the master cylinder is a reseviour of what I believe to be brake fluid, when I open that up it has two compartments, one big one about half the size.  The big reseviour is darker; caramel colored, the smaller is cleaner looking and has a bluish tinge.  So that's my story sorry if it sounds ignorant and uninformed but I'm still both of those when it comes to cars, I'm learning slowly.  Thanks in advance for you help

Greg

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: brake fluid problem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
Sounds like you at first were looking at the master for a clutch.

What you lasttalked about with 2 compartments is your brake master cylinder.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Lateralus11

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »
Awsome guys that really helps, clears everything up for me.  Yea the fluid is :censored:, can't see through it, I'll have to get someone to help me flush it out or maybe I'll try to figure it out.  Thanks a lot though

Offline EaglePilot

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
Brake fluid (and correct coolant) should be replaced/changed every 5 years.

Offline Lateralus11

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
Yea maybe I'll swing up to Canada Tire, oh wait, don't have a passport so I guess I'll take my chances at Autozone or what not

Offline Lethander

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
Can also do what is known as a gravity bleed

park the car level, open the lid on the master, then open all the bleaders a hair till they start seeping fluid,  watch your fluid level under the hood and keep it topped off, if will  go down slow so you can  inspect the fluid coming out of each bleeder.. or any air bubbles , if there is air let the bubbles all seep out as you  refill the master.  then  lock down each bleeder , once all are tightened,  top off the master cyl and test the pedal out.. Was a way we used to do it in the shop when  we were always  do busy to do a traditional bleed, it takes a little longer but can be done solo.
85 Eagle wagon
09 Caliber SRT4
88 K-wagon turbo 2.5l project
(guess i like wagons and such LOL)

Offline kral

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:35 PM »
I know this is an old post but it was really helpful. While tooling around my brakes kinda went squishy.By the time the I got home the brake light was on, I popped opened the MC and it looked just the one above, I filled it up and 2 days later I found my leak, 1 more thing on the TO-DO-List. But on the bright side the "BRAKE" light works just great..
Great 2 be a noob

Offline derrickjh

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:41:52 PM »
Hello all,

I have an 86 wagon with brakes of death (randomly fades to the floor, then next time stops on a dime)...what is the "smart answer" for getting the brake ratio equaled front and rear?
Is this weird thing on the side wall in my engine compartment really part of the break system?
Brake shop told me I am breaking 70% on the rear.

Thanks, Derrick

Eagle Up!

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
So if the back tires lock up before the front, a good flush/bleed could fix the problem?

Offline derrickjh

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 12:16:46 AM »
Thank you all, I will bleed all four corners for starters.
Fluid is full, does not appear to have any leaks.
How do I ,or do I need to adjust the proportioning valve?

Derrick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk