News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 08:47:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Greetings from Goatman302  (Read 16410 times)

Offline GoatMan302

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Greetings from Goatman302
« on: October 13, 2010, 12:39:50 AM »
I am a Navy vet that is just starting to transition back to civilian life, and have come across a 1980 AMC Eagle that I am going to buy real soon (it needs some work, but mostly cosmetic stuff). I have wanted an Eagle for about as long as I can remember, especially with the fact that I grew up with a 1979 Concord.

I do have one question right now regarding the Eagle: does anyone know where I can buy a new seatbelt for the '80 Eagle I am getting soon? The latch part of the driver's side belt is missing, so it needs to be replaced, but for the interim, bucking the belt into the passenger buckle works, although that prevents my wife from riding in the front for now.

The Eagle I am getting is a white 4 door wagon, if that helps anyone.

Offline ravinsaend

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: Greetings from Goatman302
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »
Noting the interior color would be good if you want one that matches what you've already got. Also, you ought to post some pics so we can admire the bird :)

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 01:14:44 AM »
Welcome to the nest. You are starting out on the right path by getting the 1980 model. It's the best and most desirable year. In 1981 new C.A.F.E standards mandated better gas mileage which forced AMC to downgrade the quality of the engine components and introduced other PIA changes to the fuel system in order to meet these standards.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:29:11 AM »
Welcome Goatman,

I've also wanted an eagle for a very long time.  as far as parts go, alot of members have become excellent scroungers, and extremely resourceful.  But... there are some who have amassed a great amount of seatbelts, say... Three-2 cubic foot boxes full of them.  Not mentioning any names here, but it's El Matador.

We love to see lots of pics, we love to see projects (with lots of pics), videos, and just basically lots of pics.

glad to have you on, and I'm looking forward to seeing all your pictures   ;D

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:12:54 AM »
Welcome to the Nest and thank you for your service.  I hope your transition goes smoothly and before you know it you will be able to speak and understand, "civilian".   ;D

Yes post a Wanted topic for your seat belt needs and as mentioned El Matador has a bunch, but that one will come down from Canada so shipping will be a bit higher, but not too bad.  If he does not have your color someone else may have it.  And, AMC sourced their belts from the same place GM did and of course any older Jeep Grand Wagoneers you run across will probably have what you need too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline GoatMan302

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
Right now I am torn between replacing the belt section, or by upgrading the front seats to a 4 or 5 point (probably a 4 point).

I know I would like to replace the 3 speed auto with an overdrive tranny at a later time.

Here is the only picture I have of the car so far.....

The car was sitting for several months, and it started right up. Aside from the bad rotor and pads on the left front (and a few electrical issues, mainly with a bad light switch and blown bulbs), the test drive went well.

Offline MaskNMI

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 03:34:03 AM »
El Mat: lol how did you get so many seat belts, you worked for amc or what?!?!

When I got my car it appeared to be in excellent condidtion...every power accessory worked to some degree...the interior smelled like fresh leather...but the SEAT BELTS were all falling apart and electrical taped to gether at the buckles and tongues and none of them would freaking retract. But I didn't care, and now I am always opening my door in traffic to pull my seat belt back in cause it's flapping on my rocker panel (guess I should wear the thing, but it;s always stuck in the door when I try to put it on...)

So I'm planning  to go to the junkyard and get a complete set of GM buckles from an 80's car cause I want the sleek bulletproof metal ones...and I don't use GM parts lightly, believe me...but they did make darn good seat belts and it should be an easy adaptation, seat belts are all attached very similar on all cars, new and old, that I've ever looked at...

It's just an idea, cause AMC seat belts falling apart/not working seems to be a recurring thing...I'd go with the 4/5 points if you got them!

PS GoatMan: Don't feel bad, I spent a lot of my money I got from the military on an Eagle, too ;-P Plus they really remind me of a baby HMMWV, which of course AMC's AM General designed in the same era

Now go swab the decks, squid!!, er [?sailor?sir?] ! ;D (J/K, I love y'all!! my former team leader and my former platoon sergeant in the Guard, my grandpa, and my ex-girlfriend are ALL former NAVY, but I'm not cut out for the sea myself, so I joined the infantry )
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:43:11 PM by MaskNMI »

Offline GoatMan302

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
It took some time, but I finally got my 1980 AMC Eagle. There are a few issues that came up during it's 100 mile drive home. I need help finding some of these parts:

Headlamp switch (the lights work, but will not hold the dash lights on).
Interior Lamp is gone
Driver's side mirror will not hold in place
The last owner lost the door keys, so I need a new set of door locks.

This is a new photo of the car:

Offline GoatMan302

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:00:20 PM »
Here was a "bonus" left in the car: a deer leg!

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »
Hope you didn't have to pay extra for the deer leg!

I don't think I've ever seen a stripe like that on an Eagle before.  Is it part of a special package?
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 06:33:56 AM »
Pop a door lock out and have a locksmith make a key for it.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline GoatMan302

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Hope you didn't have to pay extra for the deer leg!

I don't think I've ever seen a stripe like that on an Eagle before.  Is it part of a special package?

The back quarter of the car says MOUNTAIN EAGLE 4x4.

The car has the term "4x4" on eight locations, twice on each back quarter, and on each hub cap.

Dash:

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »

The back quarter of the car says MOUNTAIN EAGLE 4x4.

Anybody ever hear of the Mountain Eagle badging before?  Do you think that was an owner mod, or a regional trim option similar to the California Special or High Country Special Mustangs?  Interesting!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
I don't know.  Kind of seems to be a low optioned car for a regional special -- you would think a Mountain Eagle, from the dealer would at least have had a roof rack.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

eaglesx4

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 07:05:35 AM »
Could also be dealer installed.  In the early 90's  we had a man who striped vehicle come around and you should have seen some of the stuff he came up with.  In reality they were normal vehicles with 40.00 worth os stripes on them

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk