News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 03:37:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Poor Mans HEI  (Read 23708 times)

wagoneerhauler

Re: Poor Mans HEI
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »
Ha.  I knew I had forgot to let you look for a heat sink.  I'll go through the box and see what I find that would fit in the original case.  The best thing to do would be to use the case as the heat sink but to do that and keep it stock looking would be the challenge.  One might be able to tig some studs inside for the HEI to mount to... ?

Offline simsx28

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:11:29 AM »
where is the box located?
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon (Sold June 2011) :(
Want: 2011 Ford Fiesta Sedan, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 1990 Nissan 240sx Automatic

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 04:13:18 AM »
Ha.  I knew I had forgot to let you look for a heat sink.  I'll go through the box and see what I find that would fit in the original case.  The best thing to do would be to use the case as the heat sink but to do that and keep it stock looking would be the challenge.  One might be able to tig some studs inside for the HEI to mount to... ?

Why not jb weld? It holds studs in for valve covers so I'm sure it could handle the heat from an IM.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 07:28:20 AM »

Box is in the factory location, on the passenger side inner fender.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 07:42:25 AM »

LOL, yeah I forgot all about that too. There is a couple things that stick up that you can bolt to (opposite of a stud, having brain lapse right can't think of its name, haha), that's what I bolted my current heat sink to, it seems to work ok. I used 1/4 plate steel, I really don't know how much heat it carries a way as opposed to aluminum though. The thing about welding or JB welding studs in would be you would need the module to be able to sit directly on the box, and not have an air gap, that would be the toughest part. The aluminum isn't that thick so drilling and tapping is out (unless you drill though, bolt and nut it). I'll see if my set up is sufficient in the long run, I may have to come up with a better method, I'm up to suggestions too. :) I have a couple other ideas too, but of course that would require special tools that everyone may not have access to(trying to keep it "poor mans hei"  :rotfl: ).
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Smitch

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 07:48:48 AM »
Mount it in the snorkel of the air filter housing!  ;D 

Offline simsx28

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 11:43:18 AM »

Box is in the factory location, on the passenger side inner fender.

Thanks I feel stupid lol I am no mechanic and what is it for.
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon (Sold June 2011) :(
Want: 2011 Ford Fiesta Sedan, 1996 Dodge Ram 1500, 1990 Nissan 240sx Automatic

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »
Basically it is the brain of the ignition system, I think I am explaining this correctly when I say, It takes a signal from the distributor, on when to tell the coil to throw a spark back to the distributor. I'm bad with explaining almost anything, haha, even if I do understand it  :rotfl: . Hope that helps a little.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 05:01:44 PM »
Ok, so an update is due since I kept track of milage, first tank ran through the car: about 16 mpg, but keep in mind this car sat dormant for 15 years before I awoke it last year, also car had a weak pressure plate (clutch was slipping a bit). Tank #2 close to 20, this was mainly the trip down to Eaglegrouch's which was a very hilly, curvy drive down, I took highway back, but haven't had to put gas in it yet, lol, so I'm thinking it's steadily on the rise from tank #1. Will report back on tank #3.

So I dropped a bit on tank three, apx 18mpg. The car spent much more time on the highway at 70 mph though, I think that was a big killer of milage, still not too shabby though.
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline blackeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 03:09:02 AM »
This is a great tip! Now, in what direction should the diode be mounted?
The link to junkyardgenius is dead.
Eagle wagon -84
Saab 96 v4 convertible -76

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »
Stripe toward the HEI module, try link again, worked for for me.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/ignition/jeep/HEI01.html
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline blackeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »
Thanks! link wont work for me though.
Eagle wagon -84
Saab 96 v4 convertible -76

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 11:14:01 AM »
Realizing I hadn't updated on this recently, I figured I'd give it a bump on the semi-long term. So far So Good! Even my temporary heat sink is doing its job, lol. I have had no problems what so ever with the upgrade, still running/starting good, still pulling 20+ mpg's. I may tinker with the timing a bit, it seems a bit on the slow side to me. Reguardless, I still would recomend this to anyone looking to eliminate the f*rd system on a tight budget. 8)

*I checked, the instruction link is still good...
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
I haven't forgot about this, lol, I'm working on my revamped write up, with a proper diagram on how to do this so there will be no need to leave the site for advice, lol.

Oh, 9000 miles on the upgrade with no issues  8) (yeah we drove the heck out of it, lol).
81 SX4- gf's
CNY

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
I found out that Auto Zone carries the Wells HEI module for $24.99 and it is Lifetime Guaranteed! If there isn't one near by you can order it on line autozone.com. I followed the junkyard genius directions and asked for a HEI mod for a 79 impala v-8. 8)
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk