News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 12, 2024, 06:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intro and basic Eagle Q's  (Read 10701 times)

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Intro and basic Eagle Q's
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:01:22 AM »
Hello All!!!
   My name's Eric, and I live in Rhododendron, OR. I'm not currently an Eagle owner, but have an affinity for 4WD wagons, and have been keen on them for quite a while. I currently own a highly modified '86 Subaru GL, but would like to have a domestic wagon with more power. There is one for sale locally for $400, that is a project, but has a near perfect body and paint, with new winter tires to-boot! I don't know yet the year, model, or even what's wrong with it.........but I'll keep you up to date. My questions are mainly about availability of parts. I've searched around this wonderful forum some already, and have only found out about the popular 4.0 swap. That info is great, but I'm mostly concerned about whether or not there are any obsolete chassis or body parts, since AMC is no longer. I have some fab skills, and am not opposed to doing whatever is necessary to make her a runner again, but just need to know what I'm getting into first. I'll post some pics of the Soob, if any of you are interested, and it's okay not being an AMC. Hopefully some of my experience in lifting it will help with the Eagle, as they're both unibody rigs I believe. Thanks for any replies or help in advance!

Prafeston

Re: Intro and basic Eagle Q's
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
Welcome BaldEagle!

I'm quite surprised that name hadn't been used yet!

As for your questions I've been on this forum for awhile now and I've noticed there are several people that have quite a bit of old Eagle parts and it seems there is never anything that is just absolutely impossible to get. You can always find a parts car around too if you needed some stuff. Usually if you need something you can post a Wanted ad and someone will either have it or know someone that has it or has access to it...or maybe even know of another replacement that would work. Would love to see some pics of the old GL. I'm a Subey fan! Would love to have an old B.R.A.T.!!!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »
I was surprised that name wasn't taken too..........though I must admit, I'm not bald!
It's good to know that many used parts are still available, but what about things that you'd want to replace new, like brake pads, weatherstripping, etc? The Subaru's are great little wagons, but still an economy vehicle with lots of rattles, lack of power, and small cargo space. I'm hoping the Eagle's are built stout, like many other domestics, and that I can get more power from mods or an engine swap. My Soob got an upgrade a few years back, with a '96 Legacy MPFI 2.2L, that should have around 140HP up from stock 90....so a stock 6 may be a bit of a disappointment at first, but if I can eventually get it up to 190HP or better, that would be sweet! Here's some pics of the Soob, and I'll get some of the potential Eagle soon, once it's uncovered with snow!

:eaglebig: all the way  ;D

Prafeston

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:43:47 PM »
The rear wheel looks like it's sitting funny? Like the old bronco too!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:04:51 PM »
The car's pretty off-camber in that shot.........going through a shoefly at Walker valley ORV park. So the front wheel is stuffed and the back hanging quite a bit. I had to trim the fenders to allow for that tire size, so it gets pretty close to the front at full droop, but compresses to the rear more. The ol' Bronc is still going strong too...........just crossed over 200K! It looks like the hardest part of an Eagle lift is the steering knuckle, which had to be extended with pipe and welded in the Soob. Maybe that can be done with the Eagle too: it's been well proven over several years, both on and off-road. Some other Subaru guys have done it with various combos of knuckle "extensions" from other cars like the outback. Has anyone tried Jeep knuckles, etc?

Prafeston

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
Most people that wanna lift the front more than like 2.5 inches just drop in a solid Axel.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:39:01 PM by Prafeston »

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
I had one of those, with the original non-turbocharged 1.8L TBI engine and a dying automatic. Pedal down, out of OD, going up the mountain at ~6500 RPM it would just hold at 65. It had the switchable AWD or it probably would have been slower.

It had a bad head gasket, and finally warped a head. It had a huge list of other problems too or it might of been worth fixing.  Lots of space and an A/C that would freeze you out on the hottest day. Still had MPG in the high 20s.

The 2.35 geared Eagles aren't as quick, but do a much better job of holding speed over the mountain. I spent a lot of time in second gear, but I got a trailer up at 65 with the Eagle.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
Welcome to the nest.

I'd like to know what you've done to the subaru to get it to sit like that.  I've also looked thru your photobucket pics and there's some really cool shots of that little car going thru some serious mud.

I made a post on one of the pictures, asking what the little truck is - with the tall cap (and it looks like it has an outside roll cage) I'm guessing it's a subaru brat, but I really have no idea.  

Do you have a You Tube channel?  You should.  Shoot some video, and put that up as well.  Those pictures would be awesome videos.

I've always like the smaller, previous generation subaru's (like the ones your group has in the pictures).  

I'm not really sure how much bigger the Eagle wagon is to your Subaru Wagon.  I know if I fold the back seat, she'll hold quite a bit - More then I expected.

The eagle seems pretty tough as well.  I mean take into account that alot of them have been sitting in yards, fields, barns, abandoned, etc, for years, and the bloody things will still start up, and run under their own power.  

I went to look at a 4 door over a year ago, and it had been sitting for 9+ years in a field.  put gas in it, a battery, and the damm thing fired up, and moved under it's own power.  That still amazes me.

Pat took his stock SX/4 thru a mud hole that bigger boggers were going thru.   flooded the car almost up to the seats, had the rad totally clogged, some muddy water actually flooded up to the air cleaner filter, had it sitting in that muddy water for over an hour, then got it out, took the starter apart to get it to key again, and the bloody thing drove back to the city.  Overheated the whole way.  That eagle still runs after all that abuse.

So they are pretty tough in their own rite.    

The only thing I don't like about the Eagle, is when stock, it's underpowered alot.  But lucky for us, there's alot of Jeep upgrades and mods you can do to totally up the power (besides going to a V8) and ability.  

They are a really cool car.

Prafeston

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
Pat took his stock SX/4 thru a mud hole that bigger boggers were going thru.   flooded the car almost up to the seats, had the rad totally clogged, some muddy water actually flooded up to the air cleaner filter, had it sitting in that muddy water for over an hour, then got it out, took the starter apart to get it to key again, and the bloody thing drove back to the city.  Overheated the whole way.  That eagle still runs after all that abuse.

And Whuntmore has a video of all this too! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXo1SAbKEn8

Also yeah, Whuntmore, that little truck with the white topper and exterior roll cage is a Brat. Such a cool little truck-car. Wish I had one!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 02:03:11 PM »
Yeah, a SAS may be a good way to go for me. The Soob has amazing ground clearance with the independent suspension, but the halfshafts are a weak point off-road, and lacks any decent flex.

The 1.8L turbos were known to be awful when it comes to blowing HG's. The 2.2L is pretty powerful, allowing me to take the pass here in 5th, but add much weight with passengers, etc........and it's all over. The Subaru's 3.9 gearing is really messed up bad with the increased tire size too. I may go up a few sizes with an Eagle, but we're talking like a 6" diameter increase from stock in a Soob. Huge power drain, but needed for ground clearance. Is there a standard tire size for all models of the Eagle?

I do have a lot of pics, but only one vid of my car off-road  ???
It's way steeper here than the video shows........just looks for the pebbles and rocks rolling down hill from the photographer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-nunLeYq74

Basic specs are:
4" body lift
EJ22 engine
6-lug converted hubs
15" Nissan truck steelies
Welded rear diff
Legacy seats (best mod yet)  ::)
Blah, blah........it's a keeper, but not an Eagle!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:06:30 PM »
Standard size is anything that doesn't rub!  he he he, just kidding.

I've got 215's on mine, and no issues, but with a bit of easy modding and like 2.5 inch lift (which can be done with some simple spacers) you can (IIRC) get like 235's on it with no problems - I'm not personally sure about anything bigger.

The Eagle front diff is also a half shaft with bolt on CV joints.  

@Prafeston

I thought that was a Brat, but I really wasn't sure.  I don't know those cars very well, but I would love to have one - Or a little waggie like Bald Eagle has.  Those Subaru Brats are really cool looking.

LOLOL, that video is priceless huh?  I mean you should have seen the rigs that could get thru that hole.  we're talking some serious rigs with 31" plus tires and some serious running gear.  But Noooo, there's Pat, and he's gonna go thru it... he he he.  (I always bring a map and compass... Ya never know if you're gonna have to 'hoof it'  LOLOL)

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack yer topic.

You and your buddies got some cool 4x4's.  Is that a Subaru club or something?

@baldeagle, do you have an Eagle now, that's covered with snow, or looking at one covered in snow?  Got any pics?

Note: I just watched that video you posted.  that was totally sweet!  ("you gotta commit to it... Not that commited... he he he)  That was really great to watch.  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:18:43 PM by Whuntmore »

Prafeston

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Is there a standard tire size for all models of the Eagle?

My tires on my car are 205/70/15. But I think you can run at least a 215/75/15 without any problems. I know Captnspillane has a write up of how to fit a 225/75/15 tire without a lift. Just requires a bit of trimming to the wheel well area.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »

My tires on my car are 205/70/15. But I think you can run at least a 215/75/15 without any problems. I know Captnspillane has a write up of how to fit a 225/75/15 tire without a lift. Just requires a bit of trimming to the wheel well area.

I think I've seen that, and I don't think I'd want to do that kind of modding.  But I did take the fender flares off my eagle, and I think I can get 225 under her right now, without too much rub.  It will rub a tiny bit in full turn, but not as much as you would think.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
Is there a standard tire size for all models of the Eagle?

To chime in, our '84 wagon wears 215/70s. The door sticker says 195/75. 195/75s were hard to find in 1986 when we went looking for tires.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »
There is one for sale locally for $400, that is a project, but has a near perfect body and paint, with new winter tires to-boot!

And it's not in your driveway yet because... ?

Seriously, $400 for what I assume is a complete car, with a good body and paint, is a screaming buy.  Even if there were no drivetrain in it at all, it would be a deal.

That's one of those "buy first, think later" kind of situations.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk