News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 02:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?  (Read 17038 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: help! Transmission rebuild or remanufactured?
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:08 AM »
Should've asked on here first. Someone near you could tell you if it's a good place or not. I swapped my 998 for a 727, but the slower takeoff is annoying me, so I'll probably go to an AW4 sooner than later.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »
I'm a little late with this one, but going back to your question about raising the rear without being in danger of the front rolling off the ramps...

I raise one end with a floor jack and put the ramps under the wheels backwards.  Odds are good that it won't roll of the ramps anyway, but I don't like to play the odds.  Putting the ramps under it backwards makes it impossible for the car to roll over the lip on the ramps.

I'm paranoid enough that I bought two sets of ramps.  If I need to pull the tranny I'll put the whole car up on ramps with all the ramps facing out so it can't roll in either direction.  Cheaper then a trip to the hospital...or the funeral home. ;D
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:38 AM »
Should've asked on here first. Someone near you could tell you if it's a good place or not. I swapped my 998 for a 727, but the slower takeoff is annoying me, so I'll probably go to an AW4 sooner than later.
The lack of overdrive runs me insane. I do all these distance trips and even a .85 ratio would be a significant advantage. In 3rd gear the cruise speed feels like 22MPH. If I wanted to pull an AW4 and bolt it to my 258, what would have it? Some random 4L Cherokee?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:22 AM »
Quote from: casper

why is there really an issue with this lifting a car?? jack stands are cheap and safe. i have 4 sets of jack stands. depends on if im working on suspension or frame where i put them. 2 stands up front, 2 in back. with a good floor jack, make sure you have a smooth surface for your jack to roll on as it goes up and nothing to worry about. jack stands. thats the answer. no ramps or anything should be put under the tires. heck, 3 ton jackstands are cheaper than ramps. well, where i am anyway.

I was under a '91 Civic when the Duvall quake of '95 hit Seattle. The floor went sideways and the car didn't. It was on axle stands on concrete and the shot out, as did the wood blocks I had under the wheels "just in case" but they saved my life. I got a basal skull fracture across the top of my head from my right eye socket and my right eye was pushed out and dangling by the nerves. I have a hole near my temple from the oil drain plug and I lost nearly a quart of blood out of my left ear by the time I benchpressed the car off of me and threw it back. (I was a weightlifter in training for the Olympics back in 1976 and I grew up on a farm so I'm no weakling... or I wasn't)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 03:51:42 AM »
The lack of overdrive runs me insane. I do all these distance trips and even a .85 ratio would be a significant advantage. In 3rd gear the cruise speed feels like 22MPH. If I wanted to pull an AW4 and bolt it to my 258, what would have it? Some random 4L Cherokee?

Your gear ratio is probably too low for small tires/no overdrive (mine was too when I put the 3.31 in the Spirit)
AW4 from XJ or MJ (or rare early '93 ZJ) with 4.0L. It's computer controlled and your tcase isn't a direct bolt up. You need either the (other Jeep) tcase that's on the AW4 or a '91 to '95 23 spline AW4 and 1" spacer ring (I got mine from http://Partsmike.com about 10 years ago when it was going for @ $100)
   You also need the flexplate from the 4.0L (if you plan to go EFI, '91 up are HO and different from earlier ones) as well as the starter and the underhood wiring harness along with the computer and the harness to the transmission controller behind the underdash speaker panel on the passenger's side. Grab the top end of the motor (head upgrade with aluminum cover) and all teh sensors too.

Note that '87 to '90 are .70 overdrive and '91 up are .75 (all HO's) The "best" harness for an EFI swap is '91 to '95 (if you find a '96 with the trans computer under the dash still, then it's alright. Newer ones are all one computer OBDII and require extra sensors, etc)

MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL THE BOLTS!!!!!! I use plastic waterbottles with felt pen markings as to where they come from on this setup.

If you run the "other" tcase, you will need the rear driveshaft for sure and mod the length to fit the Eagle. Not sure on the front yet, but avoid the "tincan" style.

Not all yet, but enough to get started.

REMOVE THE CPS on the bellhousing before dropping the trans! They are fragile and have been known to catch and bend the flexplate as they are breaking!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 03:59:12 AM by carnuck »

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2012, 07:12:26 AM »
I was under a '91 Civic when the Duvall quake of '95 hit Seattle. The floor went sideways and the car didn't. It was on axle stands on concrete and the shot out, as did the wood blocks I had under the wheels "just in case" but they saved my life. I got a basal skull fracture across the top of my head from my right eye socket and my right eye was pushed out and dangling by the nerves. I have a hole near my temple from the oil drain plug and I lost nearly a quart of blood out of my left ear by the time I benchpressed the car off of me and threw it back. (I was a weightlifter in training for the Olympics back in 1976 and I grew up on a farm so I'm no weakling... or I wasn't)

Don't mean to hijack this thread but holy cow that is nuts.  I hope they were able to save your eye.

I'm getting old enough to know stupid stuff can happen, even when you think you've done everything you can to mitigate the risk.  I'm not going to hold up in my house and be afraid to live, but this goes to show that you just never know what's going to happen.  Thanks for sharing your story.  Glad it didn't take your life.

IMO a vehicles is never safer then when it is sitting on its wheels.  I do use jack stands when needed, but if I'm not pulling the wheels I use ramps.  To each their own, just be safe.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
They just pushed my eye back in the socket. I had double vision for a year and I lost some peripheral vision on the right (I can't drive semi anymore)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk