News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 22, 2024, 02:31:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transfer case noise  (Read 15 times)

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
Transfer case noise
« on: Yesterday at 04:32:15 PM »
Hello, i have an odd issue, my SX/4 was running fine in 2 WD, winter is coming so i decided to put it in 4 WD, it didn't make it to 4 WD smooth and was making a clicking\knocking noise like it wasn't all the way there, so... i decided to do away with the vacuum actuators all together, so i locked the front axle in place as described in another article here, locking the fork shaft with a hose clamp, that seemed to go smooth.

i proceeded to use metal stock and created an arm to attach to the pivot on the transfer case and ran up thru the floor, now i can shift from 2 WD to 4 WD, it goes in and out but makes the same noise like its not all the way in 2 WD or 4 WD, but it does drive, i am going back and forth in my driveway, not long distance on the streets.

what else could it be? it wasn't making any noise when in 2 WD before i attempted to shift in 4 WD for the winter.

i have enough shift throw for the pivot to go end to end.

what else can i do\test to eliminate possible causes? like lock the front axle in 2 WD?

Thank you

Henry
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:33:14 PM by win32exe »
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Offline win32exe

• Doom Crew Inc.
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Yee Ha!
Re: Transfer case noise
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 05:07:16 PM »
as i continued to think about this, it occurred to me, with a little logic and inquiry, it's the front drive shaft hitting the exhaust pipe right where the u joint bosses are, i am going to remedy that and see if the clicking goes away.

when i locked the front axle that allowed it to make the noise when in 2 WD also?? right?

Henry
1983 Eagle SX/4
1967 Plymouth Belvedere

Online 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 15
Re: Transfer case noise
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 06:02:05 PM »
Locking the front axle should have made it so the front driveshaft is turning all of the time, yes. Hopefully that fixes it for you.
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk