News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 15, 2024, 08:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mystery Relay on '83 Eagle- Anyone know what this is for?  (Read 361 times)

Offline markindy

• Premium Member
  • Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Indianapolis AMC Fan
Mystery Relay on '83 Eagle- Anyone know what this is for?
« on: October 06, 2024, 06:21:16 PM »
I tried to post a picture of the relay, but I guess it's too big.  I have what I assume is a relay mounted on the firewall, next to the vacuum routing sticker.  I can't find a reference to it in the manual and I haven't seen it in pictures of other '83 Eagles.  It's about the size of a horn relay, with 3 connections labeled "L", "B", and "S"....and no wiring harness laying around to give me a clue.  The car does have cruise control, which doesn't work...but no idea if this relay has anything to do with that. 
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990 2-door hardtop
1978 Concord D/L 2-door sedan
1983 Eagle 30 / 4-door sedan

Online 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Mystery Relay on '83 Eagle- Anyone know what this is for?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 06:39:56 PM »
Does your car still have the feedback carb and stock ignition? I might’ve been for that. My car, an 86 with cruise, had two of them there, one of them was for the computer, so it got deleted. The cruise should not have anything to do with that relay. If there’s no wiring for it, I’d get rid of it.
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 50
Re: Mystery Relay on '83 Eagle- Anyone know what this is for?
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2024, 04:42:57 PM »
I'd have to double check the diagrams but I know in that area the Idle Speed Control Relay lives around there. It lets the computer control the solenoid part of the sol-vac.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk