News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 15, 2024, 08:17:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another post about oil in the air cleaner...  (Read 331 times)

Offline markindy

• Premium Member
  • Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Indianapolis AMC Fan
Another post about oil in the air cleaner...
« on: October 06, 2024, 06:13:34 PM »
I've read many posts about the PCV system, and getting oil in the air cleaner.  Most point to a solenoid that controlled the PCV valve as the culprit, but my '83 Eagle doesn't have a solenoid.  The line from the PCV valve goes directly to the base of the carb, with a T-connection going to the evap cannister.  After a long highway drive, oil was dripping out of the the snorkel of the air cleaner, and the filter was saturated....but the car still ran fine.  There was also some oil on the hood insulation, which I think likely came from the the dipstick tube.  Vacuum is strong at idle and the car accelerates and runs smoothly. 
The only other thing I see that could cause the engine to pull air through the crankcase breather is the secondary "flapper door" on the snorkel.  What does it do?  I understand the one that directs heated air....but the other doesn't seem to do anything other than completely block air from the snorkel. 
1964 Rambler Ambassador 990 2-door hardtop
1978 Concord D/L 2-door sedan
1983 Eagle 30 / 4-door sedan

Online 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Another post about oil in the air cleaner...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2024, 06:36:23 PM »
Is your PCV working properly? You should be able to remove it and hear a rattle when you shake it.
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 50
Re: Another post about oil in the air cleaner...
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2024, 04:22:43 PM »
When I rebuilt my carb I found that oil and deposit build-up had restricted the PCV port on the carb which meant the PCV valve was fine but the vacuum itself was weak.
The other thing was my PCV oil issues were attributed to excessive blow-by, which if you are getting spray out of the dipstick tube, I got bad news for you.

The only other thing I see that could cause the engine to pull air through the crankcase breather is the secondary "flapper door" on the snorkel.  What does it do?  I understand the one that directs heated air....but the other doesn't seem to do anything other than completely block air from the snorkel.
The inner flap opens whenever the engine is running and closes to prevent evaporated fuel vapor from making its way out of the air cleaner. The heated air duct isn't part of the PCV system at all and just allows the engine to pull warm air from around the exhaust manifold (assuming the metal hose and the manifold shroud are still there) when the intake air is too cold.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2024, 04:28:45 PM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk