News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• October 15, 2024, 08:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: West Coast to Kenosha  (Read 425 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 50
West Coast to Kenosha
« on: September 29, 2024, 03:37:12 PM »
This was the big trip. After watching the car make it to California and back and not develop any new problems I threw a luggage box on the roof and at the start of September I headed to a computer show in Schaumburg, Illinois. It's by absolutely no coincidence that along the way I took a detour to Kenosha. This car wasn't built at this plant but it would be a crime to not see the monument and reach Lake Michigan.

It's a three day trip. This is where I wish my Cruise Control would be better behaved but for the most part as long as I didn't tap the brake in favor of the SET/COAST button it was fine. The route had me follow the Trans-Canada Highway from Kamloops, through the Rockies, over the prairies and head south into North Dakota at Winnipeg. I kept South until I hit Sioux Falls where I met up with TheBirdman and we chatted for a few hours. He sent me on my way again with the guts of an axle he was scrapping out, so I now have the parts to build another complete AMC 35 axle with 2.35 gearing and good axle shafts.
From there is was getting into the I90 which technically gets you straight to my destination, after staying a night in Madison I detoured to Milwaukee, ran along the lake and arrived in Kenosha. After pulling up to Alfano Performance on the main drag (which wasn't open today because he was heading off to a race that weekend) an getting a few photos parked out front I headed over to the monument on the East side of the former Kenosha site and snapped a few photos, then I hunted around looking for a place to get the car washed because it was so encrusted with bugs it was attracting flies, swung back to the plant for a few more photos of a cleaner car, then headed to the lake.

This is entirely likely to be the first time in 42 years this car has been far enough East to see the Great Lakes. It's also entirely possible it may be the last time as well. After a bit of a bit of a ceremonial dumping of lake water on the hood ornament it was time to continue on to Schaumburg.

On top of other experiments, I'm curious how aggressive Illinois is about unpaid tolls. ICBC historically seems to tell out-of-province transit authorities to get stiffed when they come knocking for unpaid dues. It least for WSDOT and CalTrans, so I took the tollway through to my destination at the Renaissance Schaumburg Hotel and Convention Center. the car drove around the area for the next few days moving people between restaurants, liquor stores and fast food. It also saw the trip to the empty parking lot and field across the street from the hotel for some uh, test drives. Occasionally at 2 in the morning. ;)

Even parked, it stuck out. Quite a few people noticed it and for a few days it circulated around on the social networks. We'd be at Culver's looking out the window at people looking at the car ant taking a picture, then 20 minutes later someone at the table would show me their phone and it's the person who took the photo.

Anyways, the show went great, the hotel was great and on Monday morning the car was once again packed and off it went most of the same route back home. This time however we went more diagonally through Minnesota and North Dakota, passing endless farmland and the occasional nuclear missile silo (yeah that caught me off guard as well) and entering back into Canada in Estevan, SK and back up to Moose Jaw, highway 1 and almost a straight line back home until Salmon Arm because an accident closed the highway, so I went the long way around a mountain and stopped at the same gas station I started on.

Final tally:

Orange indicates the California Trip in August. Green indicates this trip to Illinois. To my surprise it costs less to drive to Illinois than it does to drive to California, if not because the gas is cheaper. Overall I was about $760 under budget for fuel, so I hope these numbers reflect what a running feedback system and highway gearing results in for overall economy and mileage with a giant box strapped to the roof.

Speaking of which, like with the trip to California, a camera was snapping the photos the entire time. Here's the full ten days of driving condensed into over 72000 photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LyG9MTq1as

Online 89 MJ

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: West Coast to Kenosha
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2024, 11:09:23 PM »
Oh man, I wish I would’ve known you were going on this trip earlier. I have some Eagle stuff along I-90 in WI.

That’s an impressive trip. I did the west side of Wisconsin to Kenosha and back in my Comanche while my Eagle was on a trailer behind my parent’s Suburban. The Eagle would be much better for a long trip like that.
1986 Eagle: 258, Auto, Chrysler 8.25 rear, 3.54 gears
1989 Jeep Comanche: 4.0, AX-15, 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears
1940 Chevy PU: 350, 700R4

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 50
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 11:39:54 PM »
It was comfortable. The weather didn't demand AC or open windows and it didn't really rain. I would do it again if I could afford to.
I'm astounded how cheap gas was. At it's lowest in Canadian terms it was $1.07/L and no worse than $1.28/L in Chicago. As soon as I returned to Canada it was immediately 40 cents more per liter. Next time I'd be tempted to take the I-90 all the way from Spokane.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 11:42:04 PM by MIPS »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2024, 11:17:31 AM »
Thanks for documenting your trip and the photos.  And congrats to the Eagle for making another awesome road trip!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk