News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 06:23:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front Suspension Component Colors  (Read 2136 times)

Offline kevindpm61

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Front Suspension Component Colors
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »
Since I have the individual front suspension components removed from the SX/4, I decided now is the time to clean up the parts and try to paint them close to factory original colors. Does anybody have a listing for reference purposes?
It looks like most component on the hub should be cast iron except the disc brake shield which is black. The sway bar appears to be black as well as the coil springs. My question deals primarily with the upper and lower control arms. Were they painted black or natural steel? It looks to me like the lower was black and the upper was steel.
Follow my son's 1983 AMC SX/4 project

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45519.0

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: Front Suspension Component Colors
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:59:46 PM »
I think that some were left unpainted, but at their age and the scarcity of some parts I would sandblast, prime and paint them, then spray something like Rockerguard or bedliner on them. A rock taking a chip out of the paint can cause rust underneath. Unless it's going to be a museum piece, keep longevity in mind and paint the ever loving snot out of everything to protect it.

Plus black looks fantastic ;)

Offline kevindpm61

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Front Suspension Component Colors
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 09:03:38 PM »
I plan on painting most parts with POR-15 after proper prep. Parts that were natural or some other color than black will then be top coated with a paint that duplicates the factory color. I'm not intending to make a museum piece but I do like trying to duplicate the original factory appearance.
Follow my son's 1983 AMC SX/4 project

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45519.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk