News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 10:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Power Steering Issue...Lumpy and Hard to Turn  (Read 3402 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Power Steering Issue...Lumpy and Hard to Turn
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:07:45 PM »
Ok, so I have a weird power steering issue. I haven't found the EXACT common denominator, but it seems like when the car is cold or in the process of warming up, my power steering is fine. However, when hot and warmed up fully, it is harder to turn at low speeds and feels "lumpy" at speed......like something is stuck when I go to turn. Especially noticeable on the highway when one makes smaller steering movements.

Next week I am replacing the steering damper and strut rod bushings (and one wheel bearing).  Could these be connected or more likely power steering? Also, anything to check in the fluid or the pump while on the car?

Thanks!
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Power Steering Issue...Lumpy and Hard to Turn
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:22:26 PM »
Sounds like maybe the belt or the PS fluid needs changing first. Debris in the bottom of the pump can jam the pressure regulator so it doesn't increase after a while and actually drops.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:24:56 PM »
Sounds like maybe the belt or the PS fluid needs changing first. Debris in the bottom of the pump can jam the pressure regulator so it doesn't increase after a while and actually drops.

I will try changing the fluid....I have never changed it and I've put 26,000 miles on the car since I bought it....and judging by how the previous owner did "repairs", I'm guessing its a lot older than that......
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:30:58 PM »
Check the belt for worn spots too. Did you know the belt actually changes size as temps change? That's why cold belts can squeal yet make no noise when warm. Oil on the grooves can cause belt slippage more when warm too.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk