News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 01:29:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member looking to say hi  (Read 7433 times)

Kaiserman

New member looking to say hi
« on: December 06, 2014, 09:20:25 PM »
Just gave in and bought my first AMC car.  I figured it would happen someday, I bought my first AMC (1983 J10 Custom) when I was 13 and my sickness has only gotten worse since.

My buddy finally twisted my arm hard enough to get me to buy this. 1986 highly optioned base model Wagon. It's got a good inspection sticker, almost new Michelin 205/75R15's and the only thing that doesn't work are the power door locks. It's got 120K miles on it.

It's got:

A/C, AM/FM stereo, P/W, PDL, cargo shade, floor mats, duel remote mirrors, tilt, cruise, rear wiper/washer and defroster, door edge guards, wood grain, and I'm pretty sure it has the interior lighting package.

The underside is very clean, and the only rust on the body is on the bottoms of the rear doors. No rot yet. I'll deal with the doors after winter.

I paid $400 for it and drove it home.

Should have it on the road next week. I don't drive my 71 Gladiator J2000 in the winter, so I'll be swapping the plates over.

It needs a few parts, but nothing major or immediate. The worse thing is the sagging head liner. I already have a nicer set of stock hubcaps on the way for it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:21:20 PM by Kaiserman »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: New member looking to say hi
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »
Very cool! Great deal on the car. $400 is a steal if you drove it home and it's ready for the road! Where are you located?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »
Wow, great score.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Pa sx/4

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »
Hello and welcome

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »
Wow, what a find! The woodgrain looks spectacular in the photo you posted.

Welcome to the Eagles' Den :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Congrats on the "new" wagon!  Welcome to the Den and we look forward to hearing more about your Eagle!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline RobWinn

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:05:50 AM »
I like how you made it seem like your buddy talked you into smoking pot or something and that you have been resisting it.  Anyway they are a bit addicting its been a life long habit for me.  So seriously welcome to the forum and she is beautiful, I always wanted one with "wood"
1984 Wagon 258

Kaiserman

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 04:19:04 PM »
I like how you made it seem like your buddy talked you into smoking pot or something and that you have been resisting it.  Anyway they are a bit addicting its been a life long habit for me.  So seriously welcome to the forum and she is beautiful, I always wanted one with "wood"

I've had 13 or 15 FSJ's and I always figured I'd end up with an AMC car. Always wanted a Pacer or a Rebel, but I've secretly been lusting after an Eagle since I was little. This wasn't the first time he tried to get me to buy the car.

I got it registered yesterday and took it to work. The gas guage was fluctuating after I filled it up, now it just hangs out around 1/4, and I've got a howl that sounds like it may be the front diff.

Other than that no issues (well, it does need front brakes, but that's just a normal maintenance thing). It runs very well and drives nicely. Heat works great, the rear defrost works better than the one in my 93 Park Avenue.

I've got new hatch struts on the way for it, have pads and rotors sitting at work along with 6 quarts of 10w-30 and a NAPA gold filter. I'll get all that done tomorrow and under coat it if the roads dry up. It's been raining all day here.

And thanks for the compliments guys!

I'll get some more pics once I get it washed and the interior cleaned up a bit. It's got a really clean interior. And the wood grain is very nice, just a little cracking by the top of the l/f side marker lamp.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 05:55:31 PM »
The howling is probably front wheel bearings.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Kaiserman

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
The howling is probably front wheel bearings.

It doesn't change when I cut the wheel left and right, and it goes away as soon as I let off the gas. Sounds like it's coming from the left front. Doesn't really sound like a wheel bearing. I'm going to check it when I have it on the lift tomorrow.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »
Could be tcase output bearing. Same noise 2 or 4wd?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Kaiserman

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
Could be tcase output bearing. Same noise 2 or 4wd?

Same in both 2wd/and 4wd. The rear output in the t-case has some play in it, and the t-case was empty. I'm thinking rear output bearing at this point.

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
Welcome to the den, nice wagon!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Kaiserman

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
So far I've got pads, rotors, calipers, rear hatch struts, fuel and air filters, rear output seal, better hubcaps (not as nice as they looked on ebay) and an oil change into it. And 32 gallons this week. It doesn't get the best of mileage. On the plus side it seems as if the gas gauge is working now.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 03:21:59 PM »
When you get a chance add yourself to the SOAR database so we know where you are located. http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=42855.0
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk