News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 29, 2024, 02:31:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 84 Eagle is unbelievably slowww  (Read 14071 times)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: 84 Eagle is unbelievably slowww
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »
I still think you need more advance to your timing like Eaglefreek said

Im not against a timing light, Its just that with a 30 year old chain riding on a nylon gear it possible that things don't line up quite like they used to

I have an MC 2100 and an HEI dist, its all about enough fuel and fire at the right time!

keep us posted
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
If there is timing chain stretch, as mentioned, that could be your problem.  The way I used to time cars and still do is leave the distributor hold down bolt just loose enough to be able to move it incrementally with a bit of force while driving the car with the engine at operating temperature..  Going up hills really helps with this.  That way you are dialing the timing in based on your engine's age and wear.  You will know when you hit the sweet spot and can tighten the dizzy down.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 08:27:26 PM »
well i retarded and advanced the mess out of the poor eagle to no avail... i may have noticed a slight improvement, but not worth noting... however i did clock my 0-60 time if you are interested... IF im on a flat enough surface to reach 60mph i can get there in a speedy 45 seconds....    -_-

probably going to get new plugs and a compression test this weekend...if that doesnt work i will probably have  to replace timing chain unless there are better ideas.

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
Before I replaced the timing chain the crankshaft rotated 10 degrees or more before the distributor rotor started to move. I could hear the timing chain slap the inside of the timing case at idle speed. I'm surprised it ran at all.

Following replacing the timing chain I had to retard timing at least 5 degrees. I had horrible knocking where it was set. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 03:11:03 AM »
You can counter some of that by putting in a 4.0L timing set ('91 and newer) which retards cam timing and allows for more initial advance timing without pinging.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
compression came back ranging from 130-150 ...motor was cold.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »
Compression sounds good so it seems you have a retarded spark or carb air flow problem. Is the mechanical advance functioning in the dist?

Are your brakes dragging? Mine just were.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »
the mech advance moves and pulls the distributer but the car runs the same if it is connected or unconnected...im going to replace the guts (already had a new cap) of the distributer and put new spark plugs in and see what happens... the brakes dragging is a curious idea.....I will double check that as well

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Why not put in an HEI distributor?  That would eliminate the troublesome Motorcraft ignition module and give you more spark.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
Mechanical advance is in the bottom of the dist. You're talking about the vacuum controlled advance.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2013, 05:58:04 PM »
Make sure the choke is opening up.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »
You can counter some of that by putting in a 4.0L timing set ('91 and newer) which retards cam timing and allows for more initial advance timing without pinging.
Yeah...I wish I knew this before I changed out the timing chain. The deed is done, so I'm going to leave it as is. Even with the 4.2 chain/sprockets I have better response at higher RPM than with the old worn-out 170k-mile chain.
I still think you need more advance to your timing like Eaglefreek said

Im not against a timing light, Its just that with a 30 year old chain riding on a nylon gear it possible that things don't line up quite like they used to

I have an MC 2100 and an HEI dist, its all about enough fuel and fire at the right time!

keep us posted
I agree. Mine barely ran with the old stretched timing chain and timing set at factory spec. Particularly at high altitude advanced timing is necessary. You can always dial it back if you get pinging. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2013, 02:37:43 AM »
Factory spec is only good for about the first 10,000 miles of a car's life. After that you adjust for wear and tear.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2013, 12:01:42 PM »
Are your brakes dragging? Mine just were.

This is a great question to ask.

It is common to have brake drag. Luckily you have an '84, so those calipers are less likely to drag than the older design. You still need to make sure the caliper can easily slide on the pins. Your best bet is to pull each pin one at a time and clean them up and put them back with copious amounts of never-seize to lubricate them. I've also had a mechanic accidentally install the drum brake auto-adjusters on the wrong side before. It took me months of problems before figuring out what happened. Of the top of my head I think it should be right hand threads on the driver side and left hand threads on the passenger side. I've also had frozen parking brake cables cause brake drag.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
i couldn't quite figure this issue out so I took it to some old timer... he is working on it now but he just keeps insulting me and the car. He calls me and goes "who did the abortion on this engine"...his feathers were all ruffled because the carb was not the carter and the distrib had been upgraded lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk