News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 11:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Ideas  (Read 2696 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Engine Ideas
« on: March 29, 2013, 11:24:12 PM »
Okay.  I don't really have a question and I don't really know my direction here but I was day dreaming and had some thoughts.

This spring I would like to put together a fresh engine for big eagle.  The 4.0 is leaking from everywhere and it was from unknown history when installed 5 or so years ago.  I had planned to rob my 258 of its guts to make the 4.6 stroker out of a spare 4.0. 

I got to thinking about the plan for the SX4.  My original thought was to freshen the 4.0 from the big eagle and have a 4.0 SX4.  Then I got to thinking about doing something different.  I thought about putting the 4.0 crank into the 258 block and using my extra 4.0HO head on the block.  This would give me 226 cubic inches (3.7L).  The compression ratio would be low, around 8.2 to 1.  This would allow use of an aggressive cam and the short stroke would make for a fast reving engine. 

I did a bit of digging to see if this is something people do and apparently not. 

Just wondering if this would be neat, unique, different, stupid.  Any thoughts welcome
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline jonb8

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: Engine Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:52:05 AM »
Destroking was popular for awhile, there was some guy's putting 350 cranks in 400 blocks to make 377's. I heard alot of good things about them but I never heard of them being stronger or better than stroking a 350 to a 383, You would loose torque and that's what gets the tires rolling...my only worry would be your building a RPM motor out of a block that doesn't like RPM's. Now that being said I think it should be built because we'll never know till someone does it, might be a little power house. ;D

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:09:34 AM »
I had thought about it. especially when that was almost a necessity for me once. but never did it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
I haven't done the math, but I would think you would need either custom rods or pistons to use the 4.0L crank in the 258 block. Does a 4.0L crank and rods with 258 pistons work out? You don't want the piston done in the cylinder too far when it's at TDC. You need proper squish.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Ive always wondered what could be done with a 232 and some 4.0 parts, I have a 232 in a gremmie and it has some pretty good power once I upgraded the intake and carb

I know it will peel tires as long as you want it to and rev much higher than my 258

I don't know all the math but it's one of those things to make me think if there is some combo possible

Of course a 232 block wouldn't have the right mounts for an eagle
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk