News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 11:45:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: think my problem is timing. .not sure. can u guys help  (Read 2630 times)

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
think my problem is timing. .not sure. can u guys help
« on: January 31, 2013, 08:26:38 AM »
think i found the route of my problems. i found TDC for my number one cylinder and looked at the mark on my balancer and it was at 2. from what i seen i should be around 8 degrees. how much should i turn my distributer and its that clockwise i should turn it? by the way i got a hei distributer with vacumn advance and motorcraft 2150 .

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: think my problem is timing. .not sure. can u guys help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
If you absolutely found TDC, you're mark should be at 0.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
Make sure you are on compression and not exhaust stroke (or it will backfire) Pull #1 plug and put a screwdriver in the hole (carefully and make sure you don't bind it in there) Turn the motor with a wrench and watch the screwdriver rise/fall to get TDC and double check the balancer hasn't slipped on it's rubber ring.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
Bad balancer and worn chain and timing gears are pretty common on these. If yours are stock, take the time to replace that cam gear with the plastic teeth!  The set that was originally in the car when I bought it allowed about 3degrees of movement at the timing marks before it would turn the cam!

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
3 is nothing. I've had some up to 20 degrees! (they usually jump at 15) Shouldn't have plastic gears though. If you change the timing chain, look around for a 4.0L timing cover and cam bolt (it has a spring loaded button!) to keep it from cam walking at a later time.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
my mark is at the first line.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 03:33:58 AM »
Turn the motor by hand to TDC (timing mark at zero) and pop the dist cap off. Then turn it backwards and see how far it goes before the rotor starts turning. Read the scale where the timing marks are and it'll tell you how much slop is in the chain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk