News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 10:50:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Low Oil Pressure 258  (Read 4602 times)

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Low Oil Pressure 258
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:59 PM »
Hello, I have read many reports that say their 258 runs 2-5psi oil pressure at warm idle and 20psi above 2000 rpm cold. 40psi cold idle and 60psi above 2000 rpm cold. My eagle also runs at these numbers. Does anyone know of a fix and I don't mean what someone THINKS will fix it. I read a post on jpmagazine.com that says there is a "plug that goes in the oil channel just behind the cam shaft gear" The post says he replaced the plug and pressure is now correct. Anyone heard of this? Thanks! :help:

Read more: http://forums.jpmagazine.com/70/6677252/jeep-engine/low-to-no-oil-pressure/#ixzz2EhDm1KVA

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Low Oil Pressure 258
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
I'm sorry, but I'm not comprehending what you are trying to say in the beginning of your post. What oil pressure does your engine have and how are you measuring it?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:37:40 PM »
warm 3 @ idle, 20 @ 2000rpm,
cold 20 idle, 60 @ 2000rpm
running 15-40 Rotella oil, NAPA filter
secondary mechanical guage

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
Sorry, makes sense now. For some reason I wasn't reading it right. Was your engine rebuilt recently? Those are some low numbers. May just have some worn bearings . The only way to tell if the plug is missing is to take off the timing cover. I would make sure the gauge you are using is accurate first before tearing into the engine.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline donnyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »
From time to time the dashboard oil pressure light comes on. So I think it is running low pressure. Many of the Jeep 258 forums talk about real low oil pressure. Some say they run their 258 with numbers like mine for many years with no problems.

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:05:08 AM »
In that post about the oil plug, the machine shop had removed the plug and not replaced it. It is highly unlikely that your plug has come out. You are probably dealing with wear on the wear on the crankshaft and cam bearings and wear in the oil pump. A new high volume oil pump would probably help the oil pressure, but an engine rebuild would be the only cure. You could replace the crankshaft bearings and rear seal while you had the oil pan off, to replace the oil pump, and have a mini rebuild. The engine should last a long time with low oil pressure if you take care of it.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 03:27:52 AM »
Or crud in the oil pan plugging the screen due to DSPO doing 10,000+ mile oil changes.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk