News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• July 01, 2024, 03:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Car AND Eagle noob - Rescued 1985 Wagon  (Read 11978 times)

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Car AND Eagle noob - Rescued 1985 Wagon
« on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:54 AM »
Hello!  So the wife and I were starting to see a need for a 2nd car (we have a trusty 2000 Camry) and were thinking of going the practical route.  That is, until I saw this funny lookin' station wagon in the local park-and-sell lot.  I taunted my wife that I was gonna buy it to which she responded "Fine! Do it!"  It looked pretty good for an old 80s wagon, and it looked remarkably like that one station wagon from Back to the Future that I had always thought was completely hilariously awesome.

Long story short, 3 days later it was mine.  She's a 1985 Wagon Base with 155,000 miles (only 3,000 more than our Camry).  The previous owner bought her from someone else for nostalgic reasons and the only offers he had on it were from 2 separate dudes who wanted to run it into the ground, so he opted to sell it to a kid like me who wanted to keep her going as long as possible.  I think of her as a rescue.  I got her for $1800, so I guess you guys can tell me if I got ripped or not.

The one kicker is I'm an almost total noob when it comes to really *working* on cars.  I've changed the oil in the Camry, and I can change a flat, but beyond this kind of stuff, I don't even know the lingo.  Hence, the Eagle and I will be learning much from each other!  ;)  It's a good thing she's my secondary car, but I do plan to use her as a daily driver of sorts.

EXTERIOR:

The passenger side has trim. This side doesn't because the PO took it off to fix a rust spot, but...

...he never got around to it and lost the trim.  :(  In any case, the spot is about as big as a quarter, so that's an issue.

There's a good amount of this on the hood, too.  I'll need to look into the best ways of taking care of this stuff asap, so any suggestions or experience is appreciated.

You can see the first of a couple things the PO did.  He was the type to get cars and work on them, so he wasn't shy about tinkering.  I believe that tow hitch and the light hookups behind the license plate are his handiwork, as well as the exhaust, which he redid.

In his own words: "Fenders are stock but painted. I had the carb rebuilt and a cast aluminum valve cover to replace factory plastic one. New front shock, ball joints both sides, air conditioning upgraded and 2" straight pipe exhaust with a flows master super 40 muffler"  She sounds good, but he left off the catalytic converter because our county doesn't require an emissions test, so I'll need to install one of those somewhere down the line.

A couple issues here.  Need to fix the headlight alignment there, and I that's a huge crack in the grille.  I'm thinking I'll poke around for a good-looking Spirit grille as I think I like the look of those.

ENGINE:

I believe this is something to do with the AC? PO was a plumber so he rigged up this and the oil resevoir plug back there.

Another issue.  He found antifreeze on the floor mats once and since he never drove it in the winter, he bypassed the heater core.  Might need a replacement core.

Other than that stuff, the alternator belt squeals like a stuck pig in first and I haven't been able to decipher how to tighten it, and there's something up with the carb settings (or it's just too dirty) so she's moody when I start her and she's stalling during idle pretty predictably.  Those 2 things are priority one right now, so I'm hopefully gonna have a car-knowing friend help me out with them this weekend.

Any observations, advice, experiences or comments appreciated.  Hopefully I can learn quickly and start paying back any help I get!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:51:03 AM by mutatedjellyfish »

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 50
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Car AND Eagle noob - Rescued 1985 Wagon
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 05:21:38 AM »
first off welcome to the nest, second nice wagon, and third the car in back to the future was infact an Eagle.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 09:35:38 AM »
replacing a heater core is a pita.

welcome to the nest
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:07:02 AM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
Here's a couple "Hot-To's" to get you started.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Alternator_Belt

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Curing_Carter_BBD_Carb_Issues

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Other_Carter_carb_tips

Amazing.  I had seen that alternator belt page, but not the carb ones.  Thanks!

first off welcome to the nest, second nice wagon, and third the car in back to the future was infact an Eagle.

Thanks!  Yeah, I found that out when I was cramming research to decide if I wanted to buy it or not.  My dream car of cars would be to pick up a DeLorean DMC-12 somewhere, but they're only getting more expensive or more broken as time goes on, so the Eagle fills that hole in my soul.

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
Welcome. Love the brown and wood. Great look for the Eagle!

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
So without touching anything (except adding new side mirrors) I took it to get a safety done and she only got 1 fail. Need new front brake hoses. The guys at the shop were amazed at the condition, especially the lack of rust. Good deal for $1800, I think!

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
Welcome! ;D

RE: photo that you captioned as the PO being a plumber---That round device is indeed the A/C compressor. The fittings with the red and blue plastic caps indicate someone converted the A/C to a newer refrigerant.

To tighten the alternator belt...there is a square hole in the mounting bracket below the A/C compressor. The scheme is to insert a half-inch drive into the square hole, loosen the mounting bolts and use the half-inch drive to move the alternator in or out as required to tension the belt.

This forum has all manner of info needed to keep your Eagle running. Don't hesitate to ask here! :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 12:19:35 AM »
Welcome! Looks like a nice solid car and the price seems pretty good. These cars can be tempermental but they are simple minded vehicles, most quirks are vacuum and or carb related. Most of the drive train parts are still readily available at any parts store and many other Jeep cherokee and wrangler parts can be retrofitted with minimal work to fit. Body and interior parts are a bit harder to come by....so if you ever to  run across one in a junk yard dont hesitate to grab the headlight buckets, and door handles if they are good because those always seem to break, and any other trim pieces you may need....just because it may be a while before you see one again..
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 10:25:01 AM »
I like the battery hold-down, and that oil cap is great. Apart from the heater core being a difficult fix, that looks to be pretty solid.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »
Did a tune up on it today and with new plugs and wires, it starts up and idles WAY better.  The plugs we pulled out were gapped wrong and burnt. There were remarks to the tune of "Wow, I'm surprised it runs!"

As for the 1 fail from the safety, it was due to old front brake hoses and calipers/pads. We got all the parts ready to go, but someone has used external torx bolts on the calipers (which require an e-torx star socket or universal socket to get off), and on top of that, they've gone and coated the buggers in locktite so we all but stripped one trying to pry it loose.  A friend of mine even went and picked up one of those stupid GatorGrip sockets that claim to handle stripped bolts, but the bolt destroyed the pins in the socket (haha).  Taking it in on Tuesday to a shop to get the bolt extracted, and once we replace all the brake guts, she'll be road-worthy.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 04:08:38 AM »
heat. as in a torch breaks lok tites bond.

Manitowoc WI

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:41:49 PM »
External torx is a new one for me. I've seen lots of regular torx and hex fasteners on an Eagle.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
I hope you are in a warm climate as you will have no heat or defroster for the windshield. I found out that even in Fl you need defrosters. I found one of those old plug in to the lighter defroster boxes to use until I fixed the heater core. That took me a solid 8 hrs and an extra hand here and there. that includes searching for the right tools.

Offline mutatedjellyfish

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
Ok, new one: It's an automatic and the rpms rev up just before shifting.  It happens most in the 20-35mph range.  I'll go to accelerate and it will accelerate normal, then rev, then shift, then drive normal.

I just did a tune up, but we haven't tinkered with the timing or the carb mixture at all. She's still stalling occasionally when it's really cold.  Is it possible this is a related problem or am I for sure looking at a transmission issue?

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:15 PM »
Probably the two are unrelated. The stalling is usually vacuum related, the hoses get old and leak. The solution is to go to the parts store and get lengths of common vacuum hose and start replacing it. Enough of a leak will make it too lean when cold.

How's the shifting on the transmission besides that? Could the linkage rod just be misadjusted or missing the spring?
NSS#47184

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk