News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 16, 2024, 03:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Red sensor on intake  (Read 11229 times)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
Re: Red sensor on intake
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:34 AM »
Thanks Ben! Sent you an egg for your explanation. At least it makes some sense now.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
My knock sensor is on the block. I recall that is the IAT (intake air temp) sensor that turns on the manifold heater.

Isn't your Eagle an 82? They didn't put knock sensors on Eagles until 1983. Are you sure you are not thinking of the temperature sensor for the temp gauge located on the back of the engine block? The manifold heater temperature sensor is located on the side of the of intake manifold, not on the top.

I was thinking of my '83 or '84 J10's motor (knock sensor was screwed into the hole next to left motor mount because it was a Renix 4.0L block). Knock sensor it is. (none on mine) I do have some weird idle control box that may be causing the occasional stall out.

It sort of makes sense to have the sensor on the intake because it's hollow and reaches all the cyls and the noise generally comes from the top of the motor.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:31:16 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »
My other intake has this sensor and I'll be taking it off and grinding the intake to a polished look before installing it (and fixing the last of my oil leak from the Clifford valve cover)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk