News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 22, 2024, 09:35:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need 258: engine blew on roadtrip, Ogallala Nebraska  (Read 15342 times)

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: Need 258: engine blew on roadtrip, Ogallala Nebraska
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
That price of $1200 for a used 258 seems pretty high, unless its been "refreshed."  Here in Denver I don't think I've seen any listed for sale over $500.  But like they say, location is everything.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 01:29:09 PM »
My completely rebuilt 258 was about $1500.  It came from a place in Springfield, MO, if I remember correctly.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline max98059

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:27 PM »
my rebuilt 4.0 was only 1000 + 250 core. i have a 4.2 block i would give you. just pay shipping or pick up. i live up in lynnwood wa and it the block only.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2012, 03:27:02 PM »
Going with the local shop rebuilding the short block, balanced, with a 4.0 cam (which may be available with the fuel lobe as they may be made from the same "core") with a few "performance" parts that are a low price premium (machinist usually uses them as he likes their quality), including a set of head bolts. He refereces, bores & mills,  everything from the crank-shaft center-line, not the top of the block, so this will also correct any errors in the original block cast machining.

I also ran down to Denver on Monday night and picked up a 7120 with a valve cover.
Local shop will not weld it. He's going to pressure test it and sonic it to make sure it's good, then get a price out of Denver for welding the water ports closed. If too pricy, his bath will completely degrease it and I'll JB-Weld the ports closed and he'll finish rebuilding it.

#4 piston had a hole in it. Others had started breaking down. He's thinking too much advance. Distributor will be checked for advance curve before driving.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2012, 03:54:55 PM »
be sure of the fuel lobe. the 4.0 from 94 i had did not have one.

also since not a wanted add moving this over to the engine under the mighty 258.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:57:30 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Expecting to not have the lobe, but adding an electric LP fuel pump.

Machinist is doing something interesting to the 7120 head.
A proper welding under red-hot, etc., was cost prohibitive ($200+ per hole), and we couldn't come up with specific welding guides that wouldn't risk the head (not enough time).
He didn't feel confident of the long term viability of my JB-Welding the overhanging water ports.
He milled down over the triangular water holes to make them round, but with a ledge at the bottom. He's machining slightly less than 1" round to fit and will use a particular lock-tite to help seal them when he sets them in, and then ball-peen to merge the new steel into the cast, then it'll get flattened when he decks the head. He says there may be a slight colour difference, but otherwise it will likely be invisible, and lasting. There is a slight risk of a leak, but so small that he says any sealer would take care of it.
He likens it to a freeze-plug, but solid steel.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »
Freeze plugs and pipe plugs have both been used. If it's a 4.0L block then you don't need to do the work to the head.

PS: Titan is $2300 for a complete stroker motor.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
258 block

Work underway, so too late for Titan, but thanks

Looks like it will come in around 1,900 for the short block, and $500 for the head work, $100 to buy the head. So $1,500, no shipping, but waiting for the work to be complete.

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 06:30:39 AM »
The vacuum leak most likely is what done the pistons in.
                                                                        Eddie

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 10:54:14 AM »
Long block together. Fitting manifolds. Suspecting the stainless header is from a Wrangler not a Cherokee. Stock 258 intake manifold won't fit pins, but sits above them and holds to gasket, aligning with top, with fender washers with a notch for the exhaust.
Almost ready to drop it in.

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »
Engine in and test driving last Thursday.
Rattle on the front left traced to the inner CV on the half-shaft, which was fine when I had it off just before my trip when I changed the front-left ball joints.
Pulled the outer CV shaft off and torqued it into the hug so I can get home on two-wheel drive.

Front alignment and test driving went fine on the Friday, so I repacked for my return. Last thing I did was lower the top of the trailer (three sheets of 1/2 ply & 2x2s), managing to drop in on to my thumb, which amazing wasn't broken, only cut (and people here were wondering why I wouldn't camp out at the lake - below the dam...). Spent the night in a motel to be well rested for my trip.

Slept in on the Saturday morning to be well rested. Got on the interstate at 1:00 p.m..
Stopped 50 miles down the road for lunch and to check fluids.
Back on the interstate heading East again.
Suddenly, smoke out the back of the Eagle, quickly spreading to pouring out the sides of the front. Pull over, and see oil pumping out of the back of the engine near the bell housing. Shut engine off, read a book and wait for someone to stop (no cell phone). A number of State Troopers drive by the Eagle with the hood up and the flashers on. Someone stopped and a tow was called for.

So I got 133 miles down the road towards home before having to flatbed back to Ogallala to the shop.

Been here since Aug 30th.
Time to be home.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »

So I got 133 miles down the road towards home before having to flatbed back to Ogallala to the shop.

Been here since Aug 30th.
Time to be home.
Sorry to hear that.  I hope they will make it right. 
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
Finally something simple!
Oil pressure sender has a split, pumping oil out its bottom.
None in town, one arriving tomorrow.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
Finally something simple!
Oil pressure sender has a split, pumping oil out its bottom.
None in town, one arriving tomorrow.

I must have lost three or four of those things on the Eagle. I picked up two last time I got one, and I've been lucky so far.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »
All done.
Ready for the road again.
Time to load & go!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk