News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 02:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is this thing  (Read 2208 times)

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
What is this thing
« on: July 28, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
Also, what is it SUPPOSED to do? I notice no function with it plugged in or otherwise. I just unbolted it from the passenger side of my engine compartment(it's next to the coil and dist) and cleaned it up some. Completely sludged up. It plugs into a harness that goes to the ignition system but the vacuum lines are weird. It goes into a rubber bracer with one line capped off and the other T's into a line going to an uncapped T(Warning:vacuum leak...?) and ultimately to a small line that goes to the charcoal cannister. What is this little bugger called and what does it DO? Replace it? Deprecated? What? O_o

1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: What is this thing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »
Funny, that's the same conclusion I reached upon realizing it's connected to the black canister.

Okay I've routed the vacuum can to my 4x4, capped the vacuum line under my carb and now I have a vacuum ball without any real purpose. :/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:50:22 PM by DaemonForce »
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »
They are actually not solenoids. They are switches. They open and close as engine vacuum levels change. They control 2 circuits for the ECM. If the ECM has been bypassed, or the carb has been changed, then they do not do anything.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
This link home.sprynet.com/~dale02/ is the best I've found for explaining the original systems on the 258. It's Jeep-oriented but applies to Eagles.

What you have there are the 10" and 4" vacuum switches. The green one is electrically closed until manifold vacuum reaches 10" mercury. The other is electrically open until ported vacuum reaches 4" mercury. Together they tell the on-board computer how far open the throttle is. The two switches are essentially the throttle position sensor on other cars. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
They don't do anything in my case. Oh and since I already defeated the purpose of this vacuum system, there's no place for this sort of thing anymore even if I had a replacement unit. Junk! :)

Now I just need to eviscerate all the other pointless garbage.
1983 Limited
M35-273 {???}

Rebuild:
???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk