News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 09:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil filters - what the heck is going on here?  (Read 4226 times)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
Oil filters - what the heck is going on here?
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:56:04 PM »
I attempted an oil change today.  I got as far as trying to install the new filter, which I got from Napa, part number 21626, which appears to be correct through the specs and lookups.  The problem is the thread size is wrong, it goes on half a turn and that's as far as it'll go without forcing it.  The specs of this filter say the threads are 20x1.5, which is also what the yellow sticker in the engine bay calls for.

The filter that was already on the car is a WIX 51258 which appears to be for the 81 and older AMC vehicles, with a thread of 13/16 - 16, and this fits good.

As far as I can tell, this is the original engine to the car.  Is it possible that somebody switched out the adapter / stud/ whatever you wanna call it that the filter threads on to, so that they could use a more readily available filter?  That's the only thing I can think is going on.

I already bought 2 of the wrong size filters with the above Napa part number, no big deal, just 10 bucks.  I'd just go out and buy that WIX filter, the problem is that nobody around here carries WIX filters.  My options seem to be limited to Purolator, FRAM (out of the question), and NAPA filters.  Anybody know a good cross reference so I can get the right size filter and put my car back in the garage?
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Oil filters - what the heck is going on here?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »
The NAPA filter is made by Wix. 1258 is the gold and 21258 is the silver.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
The NAPA filter is made by Wix. 1258 is the gold and 21258 is the silver.

True.  True.  Just give your NAPA the WIX number and they'll hand you the correct NAPA filter.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
I called in to Advance Auto, they cross referenced it and came up with the Purolator 30005 which worked fine.  It would have been nice to know from the previous owner that it was switched over to the older filters at some point.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:25:15 PM »
It's not hard to believe that somebody switched out the adapter somewhere along the line, this car has changed hands at least 4 times before I bought it.  I just need to remember that the parts lookups for make/model/year will yield the wrong filter.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
You could always change out the adapter to the metric one.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
What is involved in doing that?  Does the adapter just thread into the block, or is there more involved?  If it's cheap and easy I'd consider it, then I can use the filters I just bought.  If it's going to be a project where I get my knuckles busted up and curse all the stuff in my engine bay, I'll just leave it as-is since it's really not that big of a deal now that I know what filter I need.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
It is just pipethreaded into the block. just as easy as changing a filter. In my experience. never had a problem swapping them.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk