News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 26, 2024, 05:07:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video: Bad seal install on a front hub at a Jeep dealership.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline WhatDidIGetInto

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8aCzM7oP60
I'm in the process of refreshing my front suspension since I'm putting in a front axle with 3.54 gears. Figgered I might as well get the hubs rebuilt, bought all the parts online because I couldn't source them anywhere local of course. None of the shops in my area (San Diego) were willing to give it a shot once they actually saw the hubs, so I gave a Jeep dealership a call. $150. I thought it was a bit steep, but the tech was quite gungho about being able to do it. A few hours later they gave me a call back and wouldn't let me see the hubs until I paid. I pay, and this is what they tried to give back to me! The inner seal isn't even pressed into the housing and it's unreasonably bent and warped with what looks like screwdrivers and it rotates with the hub! It's just ridiculous! The tech even said "Well it's better than what it was." And my rebuttal was "well this seal isn't going to seal anything out, so once I go thru some water it'll be just as bad in a shot time!" They say they're gonna try to get a new seal and redo it by tomorrow...
This is why the only work I trust done to my car is the work that I've done myself.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Video: Bad seal install on a front hub at a Jeep dealership.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:01 PM »
Too many hacks out there calling themselves professionals.  I hope you get it taken care of. I know a guy who use to own a transmission shop for over 30 years. He still does some work to keep busy. He installed new gears and bearings in my front axle and did a great job. I've been meaning to get with him to see if  he would be willing to rebuild some front hubs for the members. I'll get in touch with him next week and see if he's interested.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline WhatDidIGetInto

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Video: Bad seal install on a front hub at a Jeep dealership.
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:23:09 PM »
To be fair, he was able to rebuild the other hub just fine. Luckily it was the seal that's shared with Jeeps in the 80's, so the tech was able to rebuild his mistake with a new seal within a couple of days. It was just incredibly unprofessional of him to even consider letting a hub go out with such an obviously butchered seal on a part that definitely needs to be sealed.
Freek, you're lucky to have a dude like that around. If I had the option, I probably would've outsourced this job to a known good source via this forum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk