News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 03:07:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New radio Install without chopping dash  (Read 8360 times)

Offline kyklops

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Kyklops Tattoo
New radio Install without chopping dash
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »
Since the rest of my project is going dismally, I thought I would at least show how my new stereo looks.  I'm quite proud of it.  I bought this unit from RetroSound USA (well... from a refurb outlet)

I had to cut the left bracket to make it fit.  I also had to make my own bezel out of the stock AM radio since none of their options will work. This is how it looks:

It comes with nice metal knobs but I opted for the factory ones.
It also comes with a remote unit for USB/SD/AUX which I stashed neatly in the glove.

I still need to put some rear speakers in, but I'm waiting until I can find some stock grills (let me know if you have a set).  For the front, though, I am getting good sound with a Dual voice coil 4x10 form Custom Auto Sound.
Let me know your thoughts.
BTW,This is my first post.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: New radio Install without chopping dash
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
Looks awesome, great job!
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »
Is this a wagon?  I happen to know where there is a pair of rear speaker grills. ;D
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline kyklops

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Kyklops Tattoo
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:32:19 AM »
Nope.  It's an '81 4 door sedan.

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:06:32 AM »
very nice job.  I went with a pyle unit I bought off amazon with an aux port and usb port on the face of the radio (still shaft style).  I like the radio you installed a bit more though cause you where able to use the factory AMC knobs 
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline kyklops

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Kyklops Tattoo
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
They go for $150 - $260.  I got a refurbished one from ebay for like $170. It's cheaper if you don't need the additional inputs and remote control (also the the base model only comes in the chrome face-- I really liked the black one).
Another note: The closest size faceplate to ours is their 74-86 mustang, but it was just a little too big. That's why I frankensteined it with the old faceplate.  But they also have a universal that could be cut down to size. Plus they have these Knobs:

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:56:53 PM »
That's a sweet looking radio.  Did you just use a 4x10 in place of the AM radio speaker above the glovebox?  Casper, I had a similar problem with my radio not fitting and it was that plastic L shaped guide or stop that is riveted on the lower left rear corner inside the dash.  I had to remove that and then my radio fit nicely. 

rohnk

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:04:42 AM »
Great looking install. You should do a little write-up on your install and send it to the company. Maybe they could put that on there website to offer more than a couple AMC vehicle solutions.

Offline kyklops

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Kyklops Tattoo
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 12:50:06 PM »
On their website, Retro Sound encourages chopping up the brackets that hold the knobs to make things fit.  The face is also removable with a 4" or so ribbon wire for tighter spaces.
I started to cut that bit of plastic behind the dash, but I swore I could feel the old girl twinge.  Quoting from RetroSound's website: "cutting or modifying the radio, not your dash is what this radio is all about!" The radio's bracket was easier to bend and cut down anyway.

Both RetroSound and Custom Auto Sound sell a direct replacement 4x10 speaker that has two voice coils for stereo sound.  I got mine from the latter, but RetroSound's is lower profile and would fit inside the stock plastic housing better I think. 

I did look through the company's install gallery and thought I should submit mine, but, as always, I neglected to take decent pictures of the process.  I still may do it, I think I need to start a flicker account first.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
That is freaking awesome.  Looks old with new tech.  perfect for older cars where the driver still wants the tunes via a AUX or mp3 player...  Totally cool

I looked at the website, and some of those radios are really great looking.  Nice find!!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:54:50 PM »
Looks great!  How does it sound?  I've had a couple radios from Custom Auto Sound in my other older cars and the sound was good but not great.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline kyklops

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
    • Kyklops Tattoo
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
I just have the one DVC speaker hooked up so far, vangremlin, so the sound is just so-so.  I mean, it's clear-- it's just not really got the power or range yet. I'm still looking for some grilles for the back to hook up another set.  I've got a 10" sub ready to hook up as well. When it's all done I'll post an update.

Offline 85AmCfreak

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 19
  • Ohh look, its an angry Eagle.
    • old betsy
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »
Clean install looks fantastic
I Don't know why. But everybody's always talking about their STI or That guys EVO, I think I'll stick with my old, but reliable AmC. Did I ever tell you I was Full blooded Eagle?

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
What year did the Eagles go to a "solid" radio...meaning without the separate knob holes?
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 09:20:46 PM »
What year did the Eagles go to a "solid" radio...meaning without the separate knob holes?

I believe it was 1985
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk