News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 15, 2024, 10:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1981 SX4 Restore  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Cole1986

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 1980 Sedan
1981 SX4 Restore
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »
I'm upgrading my Eagle from a 4 cylinder to a 258. I need help as to where I can buy one and which one to buy. Plus I would love to put in a different transmission. Which one would work and where do I find one. I've never done an engine swap before but I have all the tools and a shop to do it in. Just need some help as to what I going to need as far as parts go. Please help. I've owned this eagle for ten years now and I finally have to okay from the wife to do something with it.
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj631/colewebster1986/photo.jpg
81' Eagle SX4 Project
80' Sedan Working
82' Spirit Working

Prafeston

Re: 1981 SX4 Restore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
You have a poll with both answers also being questions!  ;D

If you are swapping you might as well just go with a Cherokee 4.0 engine swap. There is plenty of write ups on the subject on the forum. Someone can point you in the right direction. There are also several topics on different transmissions that swap in with little to no modifications.

...I'm no expert on either subject though.

Offline Cole1986

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • 1980 Sedan
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 02:31:15 PM »
Thanks
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj631/colewebster1986/photo.jpg
81' Eagle SX4 Project
80' Sedan Working
82' Spirit Working

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
If you're going with a 258 you need a 1980 or newer...I believe this is right...engine that has accomodation for mounting the front differential.

Having said this, your options are almost limitless. There's an ongoing thread that covers just about any possibility. You may want to check this out:http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=37553.0
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
You have a poll with both answers also being questions!  ;D

If you are swapping you might as well just go with a Cherokee 4.0 engine swap. There is plenty of write ups on the subject on the forum. Someone can point you in the right direction. There are also several topics on different transmissions that swap in with little to no modifications.

I'll second that, If I had to swap out a motor in an Eagle, I'd just look for a good 4.0.  Probably get a better tranny, that will give you better mileage on the highway.

rohnk

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:11:09 PM »
If I had money  ::), I'd buy a used 258 and have it machined 30 over with new pistons. Use a 4.0 head and strooke it out. Then I'd bolt it to a 727 tranny and an NP229 transfer case.

I think that would all work together anyway ???

Probably have to upgrade the axle gears too so the torque didn't kill them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk